Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

efi advantages and disadvantages

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default efi advantages and disadvantages

Does anyone know who is the supplier of Yamaha's EFI system? Just wondering as this may help with knowing how reliable it would be...

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

I know its been a few months, but I just wanted to make a couple of comments in this thread and ask a couple of questions.

Comments:

1) I can not think of a single racing body that does not use EFI, WHEN ITS ALLOWED!!! NASCAR, many NHRA classes, and other forms of racing is so far behind times with their rules that EFI is not allowed to be used.

2) You think EFI is hard for the individual to tune? I bet 99.9% of the carbed bikes out there right now that the owners have tuned are not jetted correctly.

3) On an open-loop system, the ECU should never store anything into memory dealing with the map. The reason it wouldn't store anything is there is no long-term fuel trims (LTFT) for it to remember. So you should never have to "reset" it after mods. All it does is command a STFT.

4) The only ATV carb I know of that can atomize fuel as efficiently as an injector is a Lectron. C&S specialities modded Holleys are the only carb I have seen in the automotive world. The correct atomization of fuel is the key to a power increase. But as was said, the difference is minimal at WOT. Its getting to WOT that EFI shines.

Questions:

1) What is the stock injector size on a 700R?

2) What is the stock fuel pump pressure and flow rate on the 700R?

3) I am guessing its a return-style fuel system?

Old 07-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
[quote]
[i]

As far as codes go, there is no law that says you can’t replace or charge your battery. If that just happens to clear the codes, then so be it. I have never seen anybody from any shop say because your computer is clear, you are at fault. Man, they have to have evidence!
q]

Just an FYI, if you pull the battery to clear the codes on an OBDII equipped vehicle, it will throw a P100 code until it has had enough run time to remake the LTFTs. P100 is a soft code which won't turn your Check engine light on, but it will show up when scanned. If you are in an area that must pass emmisions and you pull the battery to clear codes before getting emmissions checked and it throws the P100 code, they are required to not pass your car until it has more run time. This way you can't cover up emissions problems by just clearing the computer.