Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just got my 700r off the Dyno!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 12:33 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my 700r off the Dyno!!!

Originally posted by: CTracingraptor
bump what master says, teh few i have ridden were disappointing, with pipe, and commander units. dynoed at 50hp. came out of teh hole great, but for some reason they dont like going up the hill. Sticking with my 660r.
I agree with you with sticking with the 660 .I am sticking with my 660 also. But as far as it being an overall better bike It has the 660 beat stock for stock. But I still don't get it Yamaha must be sleeping when it comes to building raptors. because a polaris 500 should not be even coming close to beating the raptor.

I heard because the predtior has more compresion then the raptor.

If you ask me the worrior is the only good quality quad that they made. I think if they put more time and craft into their engines they would be even faster then what they are.

Old 02-12-2006, 12:50 AM
Range Rover

Hey ShadyRascal not to be smart or to start anything but why did you get your son a z400 when he had a lt240r that is a much faster bike then a z400 what the 250 was to fast or something like that.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If enough of us email Maier, they will do a run of pink plastics.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

In the tight woods and hills around here, I will take low end torque over peaky high rpm power ANY time.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LotusPosition
If enough of us email Maier, they will do a run of pink plastics.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

In the tight woods and hills around here, I will take low end torque over peaky high rpm power ANY time.
Actually, you are in the 700Rs prime habitat. I consider one if I lived there.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 135boom
see dsnut, thats why I said I wasnt sure......I figured someone on here would actually know. I just fly through the stuff! I never new that though "coyoteriverraptor", that is interesting to know, as I too have kinda always wondered why pressure is greater at (or below like you pointed out) sea level. I just knew due to oxygen requirments and basic weather stuff that pressure was less and less as you went farther up, and that 0-10k was your greatest differential.
.....interesting, thanks for the additional info. Now "duneme" is really going to think were picking what he said apart. Sorry, that was not my intention, I was just adding!
Pressure is somewhat true but, not entirely. Again, the more pressure (lower altitude) the more molecules per cc of oxygen. I have to come back to this. . . combustion occurs on a molecular level.

NOW, if you have a 12:1 compression pistion in your engine, you will (in most cases) need race-gas at sea level. As you go up in altitude, you won't build as much pressure in your bike due to the air molecules being spread out. This will result in a loss of pressure. The higher pressure you create in your cylinder, the more chance you have for pre-detonation (knocking) due to heat build-up (as you compress air it builds heat). Excessive compression (such as you see in a turbo diesel) can actually ignite without a spark-plug due to the heat you are building.

But, back to tuning. . . the reason you need to jet-down for altitude is due to a decrease in oxygen in your cylinder not pressure. True though. . . they are linked.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
Originally posted by: 135boom
see dsnut, thats why I said I wasnt sure......I figured someone on here would actually know. I just fly through the stuff! I never new that though "coyoteriverraptor", that is interesting to know, as I too have kinda always wondered why pressure is greater at (or below like you pointed out) sea level. I just knew due to oxygen requirments and basic weather stuff that pressure was less and less as you went farther up, and that 0-10k was your greatest differential.
.....interesting, thanks for the additional info. Now "duneme" is really going to think were picking what he said apart. Sorry, that was not my intention, I was just adding!
Pressure is somewhat true but, not entirely. Again, the more pressure (lower altitude) the more molecules per cc of oxygen. I have to come back to this. . . combustion occurs on a molecular level.

NOW, if you have a 12:1 compression pistion in your engine, you will (in most cases) need race-gas at sea level. As you go up in altitude, you won't build as much pressure in your bike due to the air molecules being spread out. This will result in a loss of pressure. The higher pressure you create in your cylinder, the more chance you have for pre-detonation (knocking) due to heat build-up (as you compress air it builds heat). Excessive compression (such as you see in a turbo diesel) can actually ignite without a spark-plug due to the heat you are building.

But, back to tuning. . . the reason you need to jet-down for altitude is due to a decrease in oxygen in your cylinder not pressure. True though. . . they are linked.
There is less oxygen because there is less pressure at high altitude, right? There isn't a less percentage of oxygen. If you have a turbo, you will not feel a difference in power if your boost is maintained.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have an '04 Dodge with the Cummins Diesel. When I pull my toy hauler to St. A's I notice power loss at 5000 ft compared to sea level. I don't have a boost guage but I assume I am running equal maximum boost regardless of elevation.

Ron

Old 02-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Correct. . . there is less oxygen because the pressure isn't pushing the molecules closer together.

Think of it this way. At sea level it is like having 20 people in a room that is 10'X10' . . . pretty tight fit. As you go up in altitude the room get's larger and the people (molecules) spread out.

I'm not 100% on how a turbo responds at altitude. I'm sure it keeps things more consistant but, at altitude it needs to move more CFM of air to get the same # of molecules of oxygen into the engine.

Air does NOT equal Oxygen. Oxygen is a small percentage of what is in our air (I want to say about 15% but, don't quote me). That's why altitude has a such a large impact on tuning.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT
I have an '04 Dodge with the Cummins Diesel. When I pull my toy hauler to St. A's I notice power loss at 5000 ft compared to sea level. I don't have a boost guage but I assume I am running equal maximum boost regardless of elevation.

Ron

Hey, I agree with you, as I have a 2004 toyota tacoma with the trd supercharger running at 7psi. It doesnt matter where I go, its always getting approx 7psi, but there is a notable difference in power at altitude, compared to sea level. It makes perfect sence though, because your motor is just like you at elevation. Its breathing just as hard, but with less and less oxygen due to pressure like I was talking about.
7psi of boost is the same at sea level as 10k ft, but with less oxygen, meaning less power.
I always think of it as our jet engines. If you "goose" the throttles below 10,000ft, you have a TON of thrust, due to the thicker air, and the turbines grabbing more of it. It sets you back in your seat big time. BUT, at 40,000 ft, you do the same, and its not NEARLY as violent, as the air is thinner. This is why at altitude we have to watch our true air speed, as its very easy to over speed the airframe at altitude. You could easily go over "mach" at 40k ft.
Its interesting stuff.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

It just seems to me that if you have 7 psi manifold pressure at sea level and at altitude, how would your engine know any difference? It is seeing the same intake charge. I could see it taking longer to get to 7 psi. Maybe you just have more turbo lag at high alt.

Quick Reply: Just got my 700r off the Dyno!!!