Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how do you fella's like the 350 rap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you fella's like the 350 rap?

I had a 97 warrior and it was way too underpowered for my liking even with aftermarket pipe, intake and jetting. They didn't do enough in my opinion when they went to the 350 Raptor to even consider it compared to any of the 400 cc sport quads. I have ridden the 350 and all the 400 cc quads and am disappointed with yammy when they "redesigned" the warrior. In a power robbing riding area like the dunes and the cinders, this quad is a relative pig. I bought one so I'm not bagging on it without personal experience.

Regarding cheap construction, I had to have the frame of my warrior re-welded after 5 of the tubes cracked, that is without wrecking so I am not incredibly impressed with the quality of the warrior. I gave the quad to a cousin and it is still running which is a good thing but I had a fair share of problems with the warrior.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:58 AM
Pro Rider

I MX with my Warrior and *knock on wood* have had no frame cracks. I have achieved on spray about 65-70 HP out of the motor, she is plenty powerful enough and will eat many quads... including the Raptor. Mind you however in stock form the Warrior does not compare to a Raptor (nor does a 400EX, 300EX, Mojave, Etc...) - Technology and stock HP present in the "new age" ATVs has just improved drastically over the past couple years setting quads like the Warrior and 400EX way back as far as fast bikes are concerned now. However the Warrior when widened and lowered is very nimble and just a large stroker kit will make it faster then most quads come out of the box today. The quad is very reliable (unlike many of the new age quads) and is an excellent bike. I would have to agree that I hate the new "craptorizing" thing Yamaha has done to everything though...

Old 02-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've ridden my wife's a few times and it's a nice machine. Handles very well and it's comfortable as anything I've ever ridden.

But it takes a little more than a few mods for them to beat a z400. I had a Warrior with tons of mods and my kfx had no problem walking away no matter the rider. The stock Raptor350 runs a lot better than the Warriors did.

Whoever said it's a great machine for a newbie who wants to keep it for a few years was right on. Out of the box they are mild and fun, but they can be made into screamers with some mods.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

Bore them to a 88 mm bore, kick it up to a 398cc and with that long stroke it has... it's a monster. hotrods +7mm stroker makes them sing as well. My main reaosn for riding a YFM350R is the size of the machine. I'm not a big guy... i'm 5'7" tall, i weigh 135 soaking wet. I don't have alot of body weight to muscle a bigger machine around. My 350 has no prob keeping stride on flats w/ 400's and in the trails that snake around pretty good, the +1.5" extensions make it a trail terror. If you're racing a flat drag, all you're proving is that your machine beat someone elses machine... I've got a quad and in total my build cost + bike cost is right about 5 grand, and that's still about a thousand dollars less than a STOCK 400 and I keep up with em. But like I said... I'm not a big guy, I don't like to have to muscle my quad around and the 350 will slide if I push on the pegs.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

the lady has one, we are selling it cause she just moved up to the 700r. I first impression of it was great, coming from a warrior in my much younger years. the thing feels lighter (which it is) and is quicker. I dont have a problem wheeling ours without clutch, you just have to reem on it in 1st and 2nd to do it. I think its a much better quad then the old warrior. It got some good updates.
The things I think are still bad, it the NARROW front end. Its much wider in the back, which makes it plow. The power could be a little better. Sure, some of you guys are comparing it to 400's, and in my mind the 400's are a lot more performance oriented. I know you guys are modding the crap out of your raptor 350's, but thats to keep up with a stock 400. Pipe the 400, and its pretty much all over again. Your comparing a highly modded raptor 350 to a stock or very mildly setup 400. I think performance wise, its an up hill battle. If you concerned with performance, i wouldnt get a raptor 350. If you want a rock solid learning quad, with plenty of trail power, and decent suspension, then the raptor is a good choice. The motors are close to undestructable, and will run forever. I am sure some of you can get your raptors going pretty good, but by the time you dump all that money into one, why not just have a 400 of some sort.
Anyway, good luck.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: RaptrGYT350R
Yammies are no more prone to "stretch marks" than any other comapnies plastics..
You must be new to the sport then! Yammies have always showed stress marks easily! What did you do before selling Yammies, buy here pay here car salesman?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And even "IF" you are keeping up with a stock Z400 after MANY mods, you are sacrificing reliability of the machine. Not to mention that if you throw a pipe on the Z, it will be ahead once again without sacrificing any reliability.

The Warriors/Rap350's are great trail machines and will always be fine for the average rider, but in no way shape or form are they powerhouses.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

LOL! actually I AM a certified dodge/chrysler/jeep salesman [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Plus yamaha certified. Been selling new/used cars and ATV's and sled for about a year and a half. Good observation! The reliablility issue, a cam, intake, jets, carb and pipe are hardly going to deteriorate the reliability of the engine. I'm more worried about the axles breaking/stressing due to the wheel extensions. But anyway, Being that I am a salesman and or tech with these things(depending on the day) I think it's safe to say that I've probably seen more yamahas in my travels than most and I've seen very few with alot of stretches. Scratches and scuffs yeah... but whit marks havn't been that present. Could be coincidence I guess. And yeah, my rap will never be the power house that alot of people would like them to be, my point is you can buy a 350 rap AND mod it and spend less than and keep up with the majority of the 400's around. Dollar for dollar, you can't beat the 350 I'd say.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, tousche'![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] How do you sell ATV's and cars at the same time?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I've been around these things for a over 15 years now, and I still say that up until the 06's Yamaha has always shown stress marks easily, I've never seen Kawi, Suzuki, or Honda show those white creases without a major impact or bend unlike the Yammies. (The 06' Yammie MX dirtbikes have a different type of plastic, not sure if the quads do)

You start boring and stroking any motor, reliabilty goes out the window. I agree with the cams, pipes, and intake not hurting a engine much. I've actually heard that a pipe and filter change actually helps the logetivity of machines![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I have to say that in my experiences, you are not going to get the 350 to perform like the more current 400's, and Im not talking just about the engines.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: motox26
Originally posted by: RaptrGYT350R
Yammies are no more prone to "stretch marks" than any other comapnies plastics..
You must be new to the sport then! Yammies have always showed stress marks easily! What did you do before selling Yammies, buy here pay here car salesman?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And even "IF" you are keeping up with a stock Z400 after MANY mods, you are sacrificing reliability of the machine. Not to mention that if you throw a pipe on the Z, it will be ahead once again without sacrificing any reliability.

The Warriors/Rap350's are great trail machines and will always be fine for the average rider, but in no way shape or form are they powerhouses.

First of all I am double the stock & piped HP of many quads right now. It really is the best feeling in the world when you rail some high ego f*ck on a raptor or a Z400 in a drag with a Warrior - that is probably why I have spent so much bro lol!

Second of all do you own my quad? I don’t think you do, how do you know what its capable of?. I happen to have a 440EX, with cam, pipe, and all that jazz as well and my warrior stomps it into the ground with out a problem as well as my brothers KFX400. The stroker Warriors hall some *** and then with the spray - my god. The fact is the FST Stroker warriors alone when built right will beat raptor 660s - then slap on the spray and it gets interesting. I love people on this site who just talk out of their @ss and have absolutely no experience with the bike in question giving people information about its capabilities and what it can do.

Third in line addressing the reliability issues - the Warrior is one of the easiest quads to do a big bore & massive stroke increase on. The motor itself construction wise is VERY meaty and there is a huge amount of room to improve inside of it; this is why it can be modded to high hell and still retain longevity. As far as reliability goes my warrior is modded very highly and on freaking nitrous and it is more reliable then my 440EX lolol!!!! The only thing mechanical that has gone on me with out warning so far is the starter clutch; all yammis seem to have a starter clutch reliability issue though. My 440EX has blown up twice in the last two years, completely annihilated the top end, head rockers and cam were DONE, and the rod also was shot (anyone want to buy the crank, just needs a new rod). Most performance companies recommend the rockers be hard welded in STOCK form on the Honders!!

Anyway in conclusion is the Warrior an economical quad to mod? Nope! But why did I do it? I don’t know it’s just a Warrior thing and for some reason, I like that quad a lot, and for the reasons mentioned above. With my +3 A-Arms and +4 Axle paired with offset wheels putting me at 52" wide with Elka suspension she handles like a champ. Then add in the stroker, port work, cylinder modifications for reliability, and nitrous and you have about a 65-70 HP Warrior that turns some heads!

Often the faster bike is the one who’s owner has the deeper wallet

Old 02-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

I multi-task... gotta know all of dailmers crap plus yammies. And I've seen honda plastic that will stress if ya sneeze on it.

Quick Reply: how do you fella's like the 350 rap?