Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

buying a warrior

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a warrior

im going in tomorrow to talk to my local dealership about buying a warrior. you guys have any advice on what to look for in the 4wheeler and in financing?

Old 02-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default buying a warrior

what dealer you going to??? im in oklahoma too....what year is it??? Need some info..

Old 02-16-2006, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer
Default buying a warrior

its sehorn yamaha and he said they have like 4 in stock starting at $2200 and my friend works their said one was just rebuilt so im gonna have to look at them

Old 02-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default buying a warrior

its sehorn yamaha and he said they have like 4 in stock starting at $2200 and my friend works their said one was just rebuilt so im gonna have to look at them
Never been to sehorn yamaha....I was up at chickasha at rayfine yamaha the other day and he had some.....

Just look at the a-arm-frame-swingarm...make sure something is not bent...you can tell if a quad has been road hard.....On a used quad make them do a compression test on it and show you before you buy it.....

You buying it for yourself...Or is the banshee yours??

Old 02-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default buying a warrior

just look it over closely for cracked paint on the frame, where the frame could be bent, especially around the area by the footpegs where the swingarm bolts up. Sometimes the frame can bend or break there on a warrior that has been jumped too hard and abused. Other than that, there's not much along the line of expensive problems with them, just little 30 dollar fixes, and regular wear and tear things like bearings. Most likely if a dealership is selling it, they've looked it over pretty good and fixed anything that needed work, but you should still look for yourself.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Trailblazer
Default buying a warrior

the banshees mine and id never trade it in for a warrior. im using money ive raised ovver a couple summers.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default buying a warrior

My 350 rap is an incredible machine. not the screamer tha the Banshee is... but the 350 engine will run forever! very nimble and awesome for tighter trails. Since the warrior is the same thing on a different frame for the most part, I highly recomend. As far as the financing... watch out for any hidden ****. Alot of dealerships that will give you a good deal will make thier money on the back end. Hidden charges, warrenties... just make sure they explain everything clearly before you sign anything.

Old 02-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default buying a warrior

Hi, I am from the northern part of missouri and i just the 11th of Feb took my 03 warrior and traded it in for a 700r. The warrior is a very reliable machine and its biggest benefit is that it is air cooled and the engine has been refined for over a decade. But at the same time they aren't real major on power and their weight limit is kinda low max weight rating is only 220lbs. I have had myself at 220lbs and my nearly wife at 145lbs on mine and it seemed to be killing any suspension travel I had. Its a great starter atv but if you've riden atvs very long this machine can get boring really fast, but there are alot of things you can do to help its power. I had mine for 2 years then I rapped it out in 2nd gear and blew the engine I cracked the piston into 2 pieces I bent one of the 2 valves (intake valve) I spun the lower rod bearing and I trashed the crank pin and the damn thing would still start and run and lightly accelerate just if I hit it to hard on the throttle it would back fire like crazy it was pretty cool and my case had to be completly cleaned inside bacuase there was a ton of metal shavings in the thing and the oil filter housing area was crambed full of shavings, plus it burnet up my air filter it really looked as if the damn thing caught fire. So I rebuilt it I put a weisco piston in it with a .040 bore and compression bump a new crank pin and piston rod. A new set of valves a wild hot cam and air filter and Procircut t4 pipe on it and labor for it all cost me about a total of $1500. At high steady speeds they tend to float the valves really bad even worse on mine after I had all that work done to it. Their hughest biggest flaw is those dang headlights that stick way up makes for a pain in the *** when you roll it over becuase it usually bends the crap out of their mounting plate and that 3/8 in bar that wrappes around them. If your dead set on a 350 go for the raptor 350 just for the headlight location. Don't get me wrong I liked my warrior but these machines had their day a long long time ago and just simply refuse to die. They really should work the engine over and give it something like dohc with 4 valves or something.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Range Rover
Default buying a warrior

I sometimes get the impression that some people on the is board, seem mad that there are people that still want a Warrior. I won't praise this bike nor will I down it. It is in my opinion a very good bike for all around riding. Your best bet is to buy an older one for a low price, then get at the engine. Mickey Dunlap of FST told me with the bigbore kit, cam springs, and oil cooler, the motor will make 26 to 28 HP at the wheel. Thats like 10 HP more then stock. I won't even get into the stroker kits, thats another story.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default buying a warrior

nothing wrong with a warrior...my warrior is an 87, the first year for the warrior. not the best choice years to get being the first year for this bike, but even still its running strong. it sat for 3 years becuase the guy who had it wasnt using it/ didnt know anything about mechanics and didnt want to try to get it running. but anyways my point is, its a machine that if taken care of will last u a good long while. good luck

Quick Reply: buying a warrior