Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

whats the deal with my warrior

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the deal with my warrior

ok, i finally got my warrior running the other day. i have no clue about its history, the guy who sold it to me said, clean the carb and it will run. so i did just that, and a few other little things and it went. But anyway, my question is, i put it in first, and when i hit the throttle, nothing happened. i dont have the chain hooked up right now, but the sprocket wouldnt spin. another time when i started it, it spun at a steady speed even when i pushed, or let of the gas. whats going on?

Old 02-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Range Rover

Are you sure you were in first? Sometimes you have to kick lever pretty hard to make it engauge. It will still go out of neutral but not quite into first.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

you moved the reverse lever to neutral when u took the carb off.... i did the same thing and wondered why my quad wouldn't stay in gear :-/

Old 02-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

speedy, i did do that once, i didnt fully engauge it back to forward. but thats not it this time....its nothing with the transmission is it? i mean, if it spun the sprocket once it should work right?

Old 02-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As weird as it sounds, make sure your cable isn't adjusted way tright at the clutch handel before anything. Speaking of reverse, does putting it in reverse make it turn? also try 2nd gear. If all this fails, I would see what is left of your clutch plates and springs. The clutch would have to be pretty warn down to not be able to turn almost 0 load (other than the trans itself). I bet the last owner tried to fix the clutch and forgot something simple like a plate or maybe they used warn springs and burned new clutch plates. I would drain the oil, take the clutch side cover off, and prop the rear of the ATV off the ground. Put the chain back on and turn the tires forward (make sure the key is off). See if the clutch boss (center) moves. You should be able to shift and get the boss to move in all gears. If this works, I would pick up a new clutch kit with plates and springs.

If you don't feel you are up for installing your own clutch, you can do the tests above yourself then have a shop install the new clutch for you.

Old 02-20-2006, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

thanks rruser, thats more of what i was thinking. i cant start it right now to try the other stuff, and the back wheels arent on right now...nor is the axle. so i cant try that for a few more days. I hope its not anything to do with the clutch, but if i really cant get it into any gear and spin when i hit the throttle then i will check into the clutch. i appreciate ur help.

-nick-

Old 02-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its normal to replace your clutch plates after many years of use. A kit to replace everything (metal plates, friction plates, springs) costs about $30-$70 online +$10 if you need a new gasket. Once you get a chance to get that cover off you should be able to tell right away if your clutch is the problem. Just remmeber to also check your lever adjustment before throwing parts at it.

The link below is the cheaper of the two kits that come with springs. There is an EBC kit for $68

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/prod...8&navType=type

Old 02-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

my dad thinks the clutch is just alittle stuck from sitting, so as soon as i get it off the lift i'll find out what i really should do. i was wrong, it actually does spin faster when i hit the gas. i couldnt tell before, but i just made sure of what i was talking about and i was wrong, it works....now i just cant get it to stop spinning in gear...stuck clutch

Old 02-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

it's normal for the clutch to drag a little bit while it's in gear, I wouldn't worry about the sprocket spinning while it's in gear and the clutch is pulled in. As long as it spins when it's in gear, shifts through the gears, and doesn't spin in neutral you should be good.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

see the problem is it constantly spins ALOT...so i really cant just leave it the way it is. It will probubly loosen right up as soon as i ride it alittle...it has been sitting for at least 3 or 4 years

Quick Reply: whats the deal with my warrior