Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Cold Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior Cold Starting Problems

I was recently riding and although the weather was cold all of my friends quads fired except for mine....checked the battery...sparkplug....i wsa not receiving spark to the plug or any spark through the spark plug boot...i drove through water the day before and my quad continously misfired for a few mins....but would continue to idle....When i came home i took the cdi out and left it in room temp went outside connected it and it fired right up...Anyone ever have similar problems...2001 warrior...

Old 02-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

i have a 97 warrior that is a pain in the butt to start when it is cold.i try to start it once a week if i'm not riding but yeah it sucks.the water thing you are talking about i got a can of silcone based spary that keeps water out of stuff and just covered ever thing and tapped it all up out of the way.seems to have fixed that but i try to stay away from deep water.i think when they putt that relay and stuff right under the back finder...[boneheads]

Old 02-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Silcone spray sounds like a good idea, however did you ever trance your problem back to one spot imperticular...im thinking that it might be my CDI...i narrowed it down and it is def electrical...and why do they install key electrical components under the fenders...You ever hear of people using aftermarket CDIs?

Old 02-21-2006, 01:59 AM
Range Rover

My 2001 has been starting very rough this winter. I would have to crank on it 8-10 times. I bought a battery tender and let it fully charge my battery for a few hours and put my battery back. It fires up atleast the 2nd turn now.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

warriors are cold natured...mine is the same way...needs a full charge on the battery..

Old 02-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea i started to charge the battery when i got back from trying to ride however when i was there i tried to jump it and that would not work.....did you ever try to jump your warrior to get it started in the cold?

Old 02-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: muddywarrioranimal
Silcone spray sounds like a good idea, however did you ever trance your problem back to one spot imperticular...im thinking that it might be my CDI...i narrowed it down and it is def electrical...and why do they install key electrical components under the fenders...You ever hear of people using aftermarket CDIs?
yeah i have the dyna cdi on mine and it still has a attitude toward water and the cold.i think it was a bone head idea to mount all that right under the fender where it's going to get mud and it's going to get wet.one thing you might try is to take a water hose and use low preassure and spray on thing at a time and be careful not to get it all wet at the same time.it might work.

Old 02-23-2006, 05:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never really had a problem with Warrior CDI boxes but, it does happen. One of the big problems with cold starting is from carb problems or a warn motor in general. A lot of people overlook some of the finer details when setting up their carb for engine mods. One of them being weather changces and pilot settings. A tuned snowmobile will start up when it's -5F outside but it may not run at all in summer. In winter, air is denser and your motor requires more fuel to make up for it. It also so happens that any cold engine (winter or not) needs more fuel to start. Even a bone stock motor may not start without 1/2 choke in the middle of summer. A colder cylinder takes more fuel to start and colder air requires more fuel to burn correct. Take that into account and you can see how you could run into problems in winter. Your main jet would have nothing to do with it either.. just the choke/pilot. Low compression can also cause cold weather problems. Needing higher cranking speeds to start can sometimes be a sign of leaking rings or valves. I have worked on bikes that would drain their whole battery trying to start, then you jump down on the kick starter as hard as you can and it catches. If the ignition system is fine, it almost always comes back as low compression. Pistons expand as they heat up and get smaller as they cool down (along with other parts in the motor). The rings seal better as the piston expands.... As your rings and bore get warn over years of use, it slowly starts to cause cold motor problems that seem to magically go away once its fully warmed up. This is your compression coming back up. This is also why it's REALLY bad to put a lot of load on a cold motor since it causes the piston to heat up fast and expand too quick.

This may not be the problem you guys are having but its one of many that can happen...

Old 02-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rruser
I have never really had a problem with Warrior CDI boxes but, it does happen. One of the big problems with cold starting is from carb problems or a warn motor in general. A lot of people overlook some of the finer details when setting up their carb for engine mods. One of them being weather changces and pilot settings. A tuned snowmobile will start up when it's -5F outside but it may not run at all in summer. In winter, air is denser and your motor requires more fuel to make up for it. It also so happens that any cold engine (winter or not) needs more fuel to start. Even a bone stock motor may not start without 1/2 choke in the middle of summer. A colder cylinder takes more fuel to start and colder air requires more fuel to burn correct. Take that into account and you can see how you could run into problems in winter. Your main jet would have nothing to do with it either.. just the choke/pilot. Low compression can also cause cold weather problems. Needing higher cranking speeds to start can sometimes be a sign of leaking rings or valves. I have worked on bikes that would drain their whole battery trying to start, then you jump down on the kick starter as hard as you can and it catches. If the ignition system is fine, it almost always comes back as low compression. Pistons expand as they heat up and get smaller as they cool down (along with other parts in the motor). The rings seal better as the piston expands.... As your rings and bore get warn over years of use, it slowly starts to cause cold motor problems that seem to magically go away once its fully warmed up. This is your compression coming back up. This is also why it's REALLY bad to put a lot of load on a cold motor since it causes the piston to heat up fast and expand too quick.

This may not be the problem you guys are having but its one of many that can happen...
ya know i never thought of that but you are right.i do see the point

Old 02-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

doesnt the edelbrock carb help alot with cold starting?

Quick Reply: Warrior Cold Starting Problems