Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My Raptor died....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Raptor died....

Yep intake leak will do it every time but I'm guessing CT checked that one out. A broken exhaust stud can cause some nasty leaks and cause problems as well.

What is getting me is that it quit, and was apparently running fine beforehand. That leans more towards something letting loose, not a configuration problem like the wrong timing. Compression test is important and sounds like you're doing that. If you would have dropped a valve you would've heard it, but a bent one may be the cluprit. Check for broken bolts, I've had cylinder and head bolts broken before and I didnt notice them until the bike quit running.

Next question, will it pull start? If so you may want to look at the one-way and related parts or back to the valves.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going along in second gear on the dunes when my intake came off the first time and there was no indication as far as any noise when they popped off but it died and would not start.Mine were coming off to where they were just barely noticeable but they were still causing a problem.I am bringing the intake boots up again only to remind you to take a real close look at wether or not they are (fully) seated.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

If you want to get this thing running here is what you need to do.

#1 Take a compression. Do it with a gauge not a finger, and don't say you think it's good. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Compression bad? Tear it down. Something is wrong with the valve gear or piston/ring combo.

#2 Good compression? Take the aircleaner off and give it a good shot of ether. Turn it over. Does it start or try to start? Does it even pop..........at all? Does it start for a few seconds and quit? If so you have a fuel problem. Could be as simple as the petcock turned off; or as hard to find as a piece of plastic or trash in the tank blocking the flow.

#3 It dosen't pop or try to start. You have some sort of electrical problem. Could be as simple as a bad plug or unplugged wire. Could be something as complex as a intermittent CD unit.

If all three of these check out the only other thing that will keep it from fireing is the spark timing.

Narrow it down to one of these four.

There is one thing for sure, it is one of these four.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

Perhaps it died from embarrassment?

Old 03-01-2006, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

WoW

Old 03-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: UBETRUN
Perhaps it died from embarrassment?
CT,

Now's the time to finally box it up and send it to Craycraft. Your Raptor is trying to talk to you.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

i know but kenz is just calling my name though......

Old 03-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

i would have to agree with Doc and try what he said, i would say that it is a CDI problem.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever find the problem?

Old 03-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

looks like 'ol CT was correct form the begining, it turns out that the exhaust valve some how become to tight when i was riding and i just loosened them up and she fired right up... problem solved... thanks guys.

Quick Reply: My Raptor died....