Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HOW MUCH WATER CAN A KODIAK GO THROUGH?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW MUCH WATER CAN A KODIAK GO THROUGH?

Anyone know how deep a kodiak can go before you f@ck it up?

Old 03-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Range Rover

well it will bary it's self.. but with out hurting and stock.. just be low the racks.. as long as it dosn't get sucked in the air box your fine. one thing though if you bary the muffler and it stall on you your bike will never run the same !!!

Old 03-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Range Rover

There is one way to find out, drive that bastard into the water till it quites, your not gonna destroy it. I'm sure its not good for it, but hey, we've all done it before, just drain it out. And start it up. Maybe add a snorkel system after this encounter.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

WTF? Don't listen to ^his^ advice. WideOpenRider, what do you mean you can't damage anything? It's called waterlock, you can do some major damage if water gets sucked into the engine.

Just play it safe and try to keep the water below the racks and exhaust, if the exhaust goes under the water just be damn careful that it does't shut off on you. Another good idea is to get an outerwears for the filter, it can help keep water out of the engine if a little bit gets splashed into the airbox. If the airbox fills up you're still screwed, but the outerwears is a good investment at $10-$15.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

If you are riding in that kind of water you should be running closed lid ^^

Old 03-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah of course you leave the lid and snorkel on. When I had my recon I managed to get 3 inches of water in the airbox with the lid and snorkel on, and I have a feeling the outerwears saved my a lot of trouble. Just because there's a snorkel on it doesn't mean water still can't splash in there.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

We got a old Honda 350 4+4 ( think it is a Rancher) well it set in the back of the shop for a long time..Just becouse everyone just was riding there sport quads...But anyway one night we started playing with it....we sealed everything water tight...and built a snorkel for it that is about 2 foot over your head when your sitting on it....and on the exhust we turn it up and like made the pipe come up about the same....well the how quad is worth about 300 buck so we though well we will have fun with it....So the next time we went to the river to do a little drag raceing we took it...Man that thing was fun...No one wanted to ride there sportquads..they wanted to play on it....you could go as deep as you wanted as long as you did not get past the snorkel....

Old 03-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

I have had mine upto the handle bars when I played submarine with it. Other then getting water into the CVT housing it was fine. now I do not recomend doing this on purpose, I was just crossing where we have always crossed the river and did not take in affect it was spring and the river had alot of ice causing it to change the river course when it melted come spring.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask? Also the dealer(manual) says something about 12 inches of water.

AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Range Rover

I have rode thru water up to the seat cushion at Windrock last year. It rained for 3 days while we were there, and the creeks were flooded, honestly I wasn't sure I was gonna a make it , but it plowed right thru, I took it kinda slow as not to splash a large amount of water over the front air intake. The air box was damp when I got thru, but not much water got in. Like others have said, if you dunk the exhaust, keep it going or it will suck water in your exhaust. You can really damage a engine if water does get in, check all fluids after a deep plunge, and if any look milky white change them at least once maybe twice to the water out of the crankcase/diffs.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

So basically keep the top ofthe airbox above water and it'll be okay? What about the carb or electrical stuff? Why does getting water in your exhaust pipe harm your machine? Are all the quads in the video clips online going through waist deep water highly modified or something? If you get water in your drive belt housing what would happen? Thanks for all the replies. This forums great!

Quick Reply: HOW MUCH WATER CAN A KODIAK GO THROUGH?