Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1999 Wolverine Oil Leaking From Engine into Swingarm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Wolverine Oil Leaking From Engine into Swingarm?

Alright... Since I've never had to replace this seal, I've never had the middle shaft out of the crankcase. I studied the book and I think you might be right - removing the 4 bolts should allow you to pull the rear yoke, shaft, bearing, seal, and housing. Pay close attention to the shim that is in there as they are a specific thickness based on the gear specs and the housing specs. Once out, I suppose it will be easier to remove the u-joint yoke in order to get to the seal.

If if were me, if the bearings feel good, I wouldn't press the shaft out of the housing - I'd just pull the seal and press in a new one. Reason being, pressing on bearings can be hard on them if not done properly - not saying you will mess them up, but with each item disassembled, there is the chance for another problem to arise.

But you are right, manual pages 4-48 and 4-49 sure do make it look as if it comes out easily after removing those 4 bolts.

Keep us posted.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for taking a look at that. I checked again...and it looks like it will come out via the bearing housing. I think I'll give it a shot today if I have time.

If that doesn't work, I will try removing the U joint bearing with a C-clamp or a ball joint remover. That looks like it may be easier that using a hammer or a punch. I figure using a bit socket and small socket on the ends of the u joint should work.

With the rear end off, I can see the seal! What a procedure just to replace a small seal! I hope I don't encounter the same issue the thread starter had with it going bad a second time.

Oh, good call on the swingarm boot. I didn't know oil made it swell up like that. I'll gladly pay for a new one to avoid that headache!

Old 05-31-2006, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

There is an O-ring that seals the exterior of the bearing housing to the crank case. You might have to give it a bit of influence to get the assembly out. Feel free to give it a good tug - Hopefully things aren't "stuck".

Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on this - I'm eager for you to get it back together and start enjoying the fun of the nimble Wolverine.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

Gotcha. I take it those shims should be OK after removal?

From the manual, it appears the center of the u-joint can be removed and reused. I'll have to be careful not to damange that when taking it out.

I've had this machine for a little over a week and it's already apart. The only riding I've done has been around the backyard. I'm really eager to get thing thing back together and rolling again. From my few rides around the yard, it rides a lot different from my 1985 200X three wheeler!

Here are a few links to pics I took last night:

The seal:
Seal

Rear end removal:
Removal
Removed
Parked

Old 06-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

95Wolverine,
Will a new boot be smaller than the one on there? The dealer wanted $20 for it! I saw it online for $13 and change.

The dealer did have the seal in stock, so that's good news.

Edit: After checking a few places online and factoring in shipping, it's cheaper at the dealer. Looks like I'll stop their again after work.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

No guarantees for it being smaller, but it should be. In addition, it shouldn't be slimey on the inside which will help you put it back on a bit easier.

If I had to guess, I'd bet it was smaller. Hope the install goes smoothly. did you get the bearing carrier out yet?

Old 06-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Range Rover

Unfortunately, when I put mine all back together, my new boot was probably 1/2" too big. It took some work, but I think it sealed up. I put a plug in the bottom of my swingarm driveshaft tube, while it was all apart, and I've pulled it a couple of times since and didn't get any muck from inside. I even stuck a swab up inside a bit and all I got on the end was the grease that I coated it down with (BTW, the plug idea was 95Wolverine's...gotta give credit where credit is due).

Old 06-02-2006, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys. That boot is a royal PITA. Whoda thunk that would be the hard part?

I haven't taken the bearing assembly out yet. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to remove the U joint and do all the work while the bearing assembly is still on the engine.

I noticed in the service manual that it recomends putting some type of adhesive on the boot, on the side that connects to the swingarm. What did you guys use?

Oh, and where did you use that plug? Sounds interesting.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

I made some progress yesterday. I just have one more cap to install on the u-joint and I can start buttoning things up again. That one cap is being a PITA...I can't quite drive it enough to where I can get the c-clip on.

Anyway, I ended up removing that bearing carrier and shaft and they came out very easily....4 bolts, pulled the shims, tugged on the carrier and it came out. It made working on the U-joint much easier!

The problem with the seal may have been cause by a loose yoke. The nut holding the yoke to the shaft should be on at 70 ft/lbs and held on with locktite. I was able to remove the nut very easily and saw no locktite at all. Must have been one of those days at the factory.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, if anyone is still reading this. (LOL)

I ran into a bit of a snag when putting the U-Joint back together. I can get one side of the bearing cap driven in enough to attach the c-clamp. However, I can't get the other side 100% of the way in. On one hand, it "may" be tight enough to install and ride...but I don't want to take that chance and have the cap come flying off...then lock up the rear end or do some other kind of damage.

I tried hammering the cap with a hammer and socket and I also tried using the ball joint press...no dice. I can see the mark for the c-clip to be installed, but the cap just won't move far enough to install it. It's probably off by a couple of milimeters, but it might as well be two miles. *sigh*

My only option at this point is to bring it to the dealer and hope they can get it pressed in properly. Once it's pressed in, I can begin putting this thing back together. I'm getting anxious to ride my "new to me quad" that I've only ridden around my backyard at this point.

I hope to God this new seal doesn't leak. I don't want to go through tear down again. I'll probably fill the machine up with oil, start it up and check the seal BEFORE putting the swingarm on again.

Quick Reply: 1999 Wolverine Oil Leaking From Engine into Swingarm?