Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak: Just a Small Grizzly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak: Just a Small Grizzly?

I am still trying to make a decision on purchasing a Grizzly, (or Kodiak), or a Honda Rubicon. I might consider a 500 Polaris.

Is the Kodiak basically the same machine with the main difference the engine cc difference 600+ vs. 400+?

I like the independent suspension of Yamaha’s and the Polaris vs. the straight rear axle of the Honda.

Fuel economy is more important than power so if the Kodiak is just a scaled-down Grizzly that would be okay.

The Rubicon and Grizzly are priced about the same: $7400.00 OTD

Any recommendations: Grizzly, Kodiak, Rubicon, or Polaris?

Thanks,
Ron

Old 03-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

The kodiak 400 is not the same as the kodiak 450, the kodiak 450 is a scaled down version of the grizzly. If you want to beef up your quad you may want the grizzly....It is the top of the line for yamaha and will hang with any utility quad out there # for #.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Squeege:

Do you have plenty of power for moving snow etc. with your plow and for trail riding in high altitudes? Would you have preferred a Grizzly if cost was not a concern?

I will be using my quad in Colorado near Durango/Silverton and in the hot Arizona desert where summertime temps reach 115 degrees F plus.

I've always liked the quality of Honda's and have had 2 Honda cycles, but never had an ATV of any make.

Ron

Old 03-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

Well,

My quad has enough power compared to quads as big as hondas forman 500. Power is no concern nor is quality. You will not find complains on the kodiak 450 except maybe a sqeeky rear disk break, but if you plan on ridding double you may want a bigger quad. My only concern to you is that the grizzly may have more trouble in heat. I have heard some people on this site state the fan runs alot on the grizzly but it still has great quality.

I am a fim believer in honda and yamaha.

I was able to get out the door below msrp if that helps. Tell them what you are willing to pay.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

IMO....
do not get a straight axle if your going through deep snow, mud, anything deep because it
will hang up on you real fast. i highly reccomend IRS.
straight axle is only good if your towing alot and not doing so much trail riding. (past experiences with Honda which are great ATV's but need some major catching up to do in terms of IRS, 4x4 systems, suspen. travel etc..)
if you find an ATV with SRA and has good suspension travel, and ground clearence, and your going to be towing most of the time.. ( kawasaki KVF 700) then i would concider it but other than that go IRS...
I would also stay away from the polaris (no offence to the polaris fans) but for me the're way
to heavy for an ATV.
i'd trust the japan ATV's over american ATV's ( in terms of reliabilty) any day.
pls dont let this start a forum war this is JMO!!!

cheers

DI

P.s Try to get a Quad with low range, very helpful.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Trailblazer

Hands down the Kodiak is a great 400 to 450 class of machine, I had and 02 and I could kick myself for selling it. If power is not what makes your choce to harder then the Kodiak 450 would be my choice between any you mentioned. Its always a tough choice finding a new 4 wheeler you like these days, so may good ones to choose from. Good luck!!
Good thing for me was, my Griz was $5994.00 new with 2.5 warn.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Range Rover

Have to agree with others saying the Kodiak is a great machine. It has plenty of power to push snow,or gravel if needed in low gear. I plowed my neighbors drive last week after 10 inches of rain washed out some spots. It worked well with him sitting on the front rack pushing down with his feet on the blade for extra cutting depth when needed. Never ran out of power then or any other time. Have ridden Grizz, great machine, like the extra power for me, I am a big guy, about 260 lbs, so the extra hp would be nice, but my Kodiak has done real well.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer

States40 wrote:

"Good thing for me was, my Griz was $5994.00 new with 2.5 warn." What a good deal, $1400.00 less than my OTD price and with a winch! You guys in the east get better deals than out west where I am in Arizona.

Driveit: thanks for the comparison of IRS vs. SRA

captainskodiak: I was wondering about the power to push snow or gravel since I will occasionally be using the quad in Colorado in winter.

Ron

Old 03-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Snowplowing will be a piece of cake for the kodiak 450.....you will need to adjust the front shocks to the stiff setting

Old 03-23-2006, 05:13 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: squeege
Snowplowing will be a piece of cake for the kodiak 450.....you will need to adjust the front shocks to the stiff setting
Why adjust to the stiff setting?

Quick Reply: Kodiak: Just a Small Grizzly?