Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Weak Grizz

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2000, 10:49 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A peculiar thing is happening with one of my Grizzlies and I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me. Both bikes have 28" Vamps, Highlifter heat Fighter Kit, and Clutch Kit for oversized tires. Other than that, they are stock. The clutch kit was installed 2 weeks ago. Both bikes have been ridden about 6 hours since that installation. After some serious mudding, one seems to have less low-end torque and will top out at only about 32 to 35 MPH. The RPM's seem consistent with the speed; it just seems to have lost power. The oil is not milky, and I hear no strange engine noises. To the best of my remembrance, the problem started after I got stuck in a hole in which the muddy water got up over the back of my seat. Although it is possible, I do not think that water got into my muffler. I compared it to my other Grizz, and there is definitely a difference in low end, the good one will spin the Vamps much faster when I give it about 1/2 throttle, and the bad one does spin, just much less. The biggest difference is the mid and high end. It sounds as though the carb is never fully opening up and maybe chocking down. No sputter, no wet or blocked air filter. Any thoughts on where I should start looking? Thanks.

Old 11-16-2000, 11:26 AM
Trailblazer

Did you check to see if the throttle is actually opening all the way? When you hit the gas with the engine not running you should be able to hear the throttle plate top out with a little "tink" sound from below the tank. If it isn't you should try adjusting the throttle stop screw or the throttle cable adjustment.

What year are they anyway?

Old 11-16-2000, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply. They are 2000 models. I have not had time to look at it yet. I am gathering information before I look at it this weekend. Kind of fishing for suggestions on what to look at. This problem does not feel like a big one to me because I do not hear anything abnormal with the engine ( sputters, clacks, etc.) just lessened performance.

Old 11-16-2000, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

BamaGrizz,

I had about the same thing happen on my Kodiak. My friends wife took it through a mudhole, really deep. After we towed it out, it would top out at about 10 mph. I shut it down and towed it home. I took the clutch cover off, and the clutch system was packed with mud. It would not allow the clutch plate to be forced out, allowing higher revs and speed. I sat there with a flat head screwdriver, and chipped at the mud, sprayed with the hose, started bike, revved it up, forcing more mud out of the back of the clutch. I had to do this about 6-8 times. When I thought I had gotten all the mud out, I soaked it with brake parts cleaner, then WD-40. It has worked great since.

Old 11-20-2000, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer

Just an update on what I did to the Grizzly this weekend. Although I have not tested it yet to see if it is running right now, I feel pretty confident that I may have found the problem. After changing all fluids and a "black" plug, I noticed that the choke lever (cable) was not fully disengaged. When I would flip the choke lever back down from half or full choke, I had to push on it to get the cable to go all the way back down. The cable was only about 1/8" to 1/4" from being completely disengaged. After I corrected this, the gas smell in the exhaust fumes went away as well as the "hollow or weak" idle. I did a visual on the carb and everything looked OK. I do not want to tweak it unless I have to. Compression checks fine. I also noticed that I forgot to "oil" my filter when I cleaned it the last time ( the day my problem started). I will try and test it in a day or so and let you know what happens. The choke cable seems to best account for my problem. Does anyone agree or disagree?

Old 11-21-2000, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

You might want to double check the muffler. I have heard MANY stories about mud getting in there, even when people thought it didn't. Does it sound 'bloated' when it runs? You know, like if the choke is on partway? That would indicate clogged intake or muffler. Or your choke could be partway on.