Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

does the top speed on my stock raptor seem high???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does the top speed on my stock raptor seem high???

I found a good deal on a 2004 raptor and the price was right and the deal was legit so i bought it. Great bike I really like it, smooth and fast and it had baja wheels on the front to make it wider and it turns great, although not as snappy as my wolverine it runs really good. I ran it down a straight away and i had the gps in one hand and steering with the other, and i looked down and i was doing 76.2mph pretty easily and it didnt take that long to get there, so i wondered how fast it would go so it turned around blasted down the straight-stretch tucked in as fast as i could go and looked down and it hit 79mph. To me that seemed high, higher than all the other ones i ran. It does have the spark arrestor out of the exhaust though. What do you guys think?

Old 04-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer

mine does the same thing, people are gonna get on here and tell u to get a new gps and that you are crazy, but ur right. Dont worry either because it isnt your gps. ive ridden next to trucks, motor cycles, and a gps and i got 80 outa ever one of them.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I know the gps isnt off, ive used it alot and it always gives me consistent results and when i was riding, the accuracy was 18ft so I know it was on. By the way how do you like that CT pipe? and how fast will it go with it on there because it makes 49.2hp and increases the top end largely which should let it turn more than the 75-7600rpm that we are turning in 5th gear stock? I would like to know about this pipe because it has always caught my attention when I looked at its dyno charts. Any input would be appreciated.

thanks,
Adam

Old 04-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

i love my CT. It really added good low to mid range, it didnt really give me any thing on top sept maybe 1 or 2 mph if any. When ever i race my buddy on his 2003 raptor that only has a pro circuit slip on, i beat him pretty bad off the line. when he is goin full speed i pass him easy also. If you get the CT you will notice big power gains. My friend has a raptor wiht same set up as me except he has a dmc alien pipe. Off the line i beat him all the way untill 5th gear. At 5th gear he passes me up by 2 or 3 mph. Im pretty sure the reason he passes me is because he is 13 and weighs 95 lbs and i am 16 and weigh 210 lbs. so i weigh twice as much as him. If you are wanting a pipe thats gon give u awsome power go wiht it, how ever it is pretty expensive compared to some other pipes. any other questions just ask me.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Adam,

Congrats on the raptor. Your wolverine is quicker than the raptor?................Impressive.

I sold my wolverine and replaced it with a prairie. (My wife likes the auto and I love the power [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

I will be getting a raptor myself within the next few months. I'll probabably be leaning toward the 700 but I like the 660's too. What did you give for yours?

Jason

Old 04-18-2006, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

Thats good, I like the CT pipe I will probably get one sometime in the future but the first thing I am going to do is put a g-force axle on the back of this thing, then I think it will handle pretty well, it is already wider in the front because it has baja wheels and the offset must be a little different than stock.

Jason, yeah man the Wolverine is quicker, its alot of fun, I'll never trade that thing. The raptor comes on smooth compared to the wolverine. The wolverine feels angry from bottom to mid and still pulls pretty good on top. It beat a 2005 predator and a 2003 raptor with a slip on and 12t front sprocket in a 300-350ft drag race from a dead stop. Its major advantage is that it comes off the line so hard. With the manual clutch you launch in 2nd or 3rd and then just go 2 or 3 shifts and its done. Although the two bikes just mentioned would beat it after 300-350ft thats still saying something. The wolverine is just geared low, thats the major problem because it has more torque than my raptor. From a roll the high-po bikes will stay right there and then pass me after i get toward the end of fifth. I just get the jump from throttle response and torque, but then its geared too low and they have alot of high end speed. Acceleration from 30-55 is comparable with the raptor and predator.

Thats sweet man. If you look you can find some good deals on the 660's. I wasnt really looking for one but then I ran onto it and the price was right. I gave $3650 for it and it is a 2004 with low hrs and it still had some paint on the header pipe and the original tires still in great shape. It wasnt rolled or wrecked or anything like that so I figured if I didnt pick it up id kick myself in the end. If you look thats what some 2001's and 2002's are selling for that are beat up.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

On my 686 With 13-42 gearing.. With my fat butt on it (260lbs) And a hand held GPS...It ran 75.6...But im geared a little lower than stock...

Old 04-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

Great price for the rappy.

I know what you mean about not selling the wolverine. I miss mine already. People think I'm crazy but I really think the old wolverines handle better than the prairies. I keep telling Yamaha that they need to make a 700r wolverine that weighs in the neighborhood of 450lbs.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

more power to you if you can do 75+ mph with only one hand on the bars

Old 04-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

more power to you if you can do 75+ mph with only one hand on the bars
LOL no...I had the GPS in my pocket....

Quick Reply: does the top speed on my stock raptor seem high???