Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

700r rear brake pads - wearing out

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700r rear brake pads - wearing out

I have a little over 100hrs on my 70r and my rears still look good and about 20 of those hrs were either racing or practicing for a race. I do have a problem with mine squealing though. They don't seem to clean themselves very good. I can blow the grooves out with compressed air and they won't make a sound for a while. I am ready to install some aftermarket pads just to get rid of the noise. I'll be the first to admit that I yanked the parking brake off every quad or trike I have ever had until my 700r. It is just so simple to use and it actually works that I am not taking it off. I am very pleased with yamaha's design.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HMFIC
I have a little over 100hrs on my 70r and my rears still look good and about 20 of those hrs were either racing or practicing for a race. I do have a problem with mine squealing though. They don't seem to clean themselves very good. I can blow the grooves out with compressed air and they won't make a sound for a while. I am ready to install some aftermarket pads just to get rid of the noise. I'll be the first to admit that I yanked the parking brake off every quad or trike I have ever had until my 700r. It is just so simple to use and it actually works that I am not taking it off. I am very pleased with yamaha's design.
Well I'm stuffed if I know. I only got 15 hours, about 250km out of my last set of (genuine) pads. One of the guys I rode with over the easter long weekend was also on a 700 he went through about 70% of his pads as well.... I agree the park brake works well but it is the only thing I can think of that is causing this problem. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Did you check if the rotor is bent? The rotor got bent on my warrior and it ate up a set of sintered metal pads in 5 hours of practice riding on mx tracks. Riding in abrasive conditions like sand, coal, lots of dust, or mud could be a contributing factor. (could it be possible that you're riding with your foot resting on the brake pedal?)

Old 04-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Mine was a White Bros universal model. I believe all Yamahas have the same pattern. I think i paid $12 for mine at the local dealership. Ive seen other brands advertised on Ebay as well.

I agree, this was the best functioning parking brake ive ever used. My problem stemmed from putting a +4" longer swing arm on and the cable not reaching. So I said F it.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

Wish my parking brake worked as well as these.. Mine stoped working about 2 weeks after I got it. Still havn't took it off yet. 2 pounds is nothing i can got take a nice dump and lose two pounds.. lmao [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

my pads last fine but squeek like a bitch every time i ride

Old 08-30-2006, 03:40 AM
Pro Rider

Hi all,

This is an old thread and since so many more ppl have 700's I just wanted to see if anyone else has had the same issues as myself and a mate that also has a 700. I gave up changing the back pads and just used metal on metal for a month or so but the sound is bad and Im worried that the pads will weld to the disc.
I have checked calliper etc and all is ok so i bought a new disc and pads (genuine) they have lasted about 10 hours ride time and the pads are now about 80% gone. I have also removed the park brake about 3 sets of pads ago. Before you ask I do not ride with my boot on the brake pedal. The bike free wheels ok, I can spin the back wheels to lube the chain. There is about 1mm gap between the pads and the disc when the brake is not pushed...

ANY IDEAS because Im all out?????

Old 08-30-2006, 06:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You wrote "genuine," does that mean stock Yamaha? If so, try some quality aftermarket pads. The rear pads on my YFZ didn't last very long either so I switched to EBC Severe Duty. So far I have logged more hours than with the stockers and they still grab hard and have plenty of pad life left. I end up riding in some abrasive conditions though. Plenty of mud and occasionally a bit of sand. I also removed my parking brake with the new set of pads because the thing never worked a whole day without having to be adjusted anyway.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

I agree. Try using some good aftermarket pads. I just changed my rears for the first time and I went with the sintered metal pads. They were a lot thicker than the stock ones but still had no problems getting them on.