Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Engine Oil Overfull from Factory?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Overfull from Factory?

Where do you keep your oil level on your Grizzlys, especially a 660? Do you add the recommened 2.11 quarts the manual states or just keep it in the crosshatched area regardless of the amount?

I sent this to my dealer today:

I need your help on trying to resolve this oil level issue. I am completely confused on this simple oil level checking procedure.

On pages 8-15 and 8-16 of the Grizzly Owner's Manual (LIT-11626-19-60) it states: To Check the engine oil level:
1. Remove panel..
2. Place ATV on level surface
3. Start the engine, warm it up for SEVERAL minutes, and then turn it off.

(Note definition of SEVERAL: Consisting of a number more than two or three but less than many)

4. Wait a FEW minutes until the oil settles.

(Note definition of FEW: Being more than one but indefinitely small in number)

5. ....wipe dipstick with a clean rag.

6. Insert the dipstick in the oil filler hole (without screwing it in), and then remove it again to check the oil level.
The engine oil should be between the minimum and maximum level marks. The diagram clearly shows the level should be within the Min/Max crosshatched area. I followed this procedure and it was still 1/2 above the Max mark. At the following times:

1 minute: Most of the oil had returned to the crankcase

2 minutes: Almost all of the oil had returned

3 minutes: All of the oil had returned to the very high mark.

I checked 3 ATV forums about 660s on this issue and there is a lot of confusion. Most say there level is in the crosshatched area and some said their high, apparently overfilled, level is the same as mine even after adding the 2.11 quarts of oil after an oil change. Many people have the same concern and questions I do.

I siphoned 13 ounces (400 ml) of oil from my crankcase and the level is still above the max mark and the "shoulder ring" above the crosshatched area.

A few minutes ago this morning I started my engine up after it set overnight, let it run for 3 minutes (drove 50 feet to a very level spot I always use). The oil level was after removing 13 ounces yesterday:

2 minutes: just less than full in the crosshatched area about 3/4ths full

5 minutes: it was at the full mark at top of crosshatched area

10 minutes: back to the still overfull mark (after siphoning 13 ounces off yesterday) to a point above the "circular shoulder above the crosshatched area and touching the small slightly raised embossed circle on the dipstick on the crosshatched side of the dipstick (again above the circular shoulder or "collar", you have to look closely to see this circle).

On page 8-19 on the Owner's Manual the Oil quantity is 2.11 US qt. When I change my oil and filter at 20 hours do I add this full 2.11 qt. amount even if it raises the level to the 1/2 inch overfull level condition that my engine was when I got it?

Should I put the 13 ounces of new oil back in now to raise the level back up to the high 1/2 inch exceeding the level the manual states and I noted above?

I need something in writing since I am concerned about the warranty.

Please check with Dwayne again and Yamaha then get back with me ASAP. I have only driven 3 miles and have just 1.9 hours of actual engine running time on the hour meter. I do not want to run the engine again until I get this issue resolved.

Could you run one of the other new Grizzlys again following the directions stated in the manual then check the oil then let me know what you find?

Your business sells many Grizzlys and I have already recommended you to many others for fair prices. Resolving this issue will help many people who have the same concerns/questions I have. I am a frequent poster and reader on ATV forums because I try to learn from others,. especially from their mistakes.

Yesterday, I tried to contact someone at Yamaha.com, but they only have a phone number, no e-mail.

Thanks,
Ron

Old 04-22-2006, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know, to me it seems your looking to deep into this issue. If you put the correct amount of oil I wouldnt worry about it.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Filling those 660's can be tricky sometimes, if you just put exatcally the recommended amount (even if it doensn't reach the crosshatched area on the stick) and it will equalize after riding it. I've made the mistake of filling over the stated amount in the manual before and it looked to be at the perfect level, but after a half hour of riding my oil reservoir was overflowing with oil and I had to remove over a quart to get it back to the proper level. Just fill it with 2.11 quarts and let it be.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the posts.

west350bruin: so put in 2.11 quarts and the heck with the dipstick until the rig uses enough oil to be within the crosshatched area?

Yamaha should modify their dipstick then and not go to the trouble of showing the detailed diagram of the crosshatched area in the manual and stating to keep the level between the Min/Max levels. Why not crosshatch the stick all the way to the threads then.

RoostItUp: Thanks for the honesty. I've made mistakes too.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

ive done the same on my yfz 450, after riding it the oil expands,

Old 04-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Yea I hadn't road/serviced my raptor in about a year and learned the hard way to fill it up the recommended amount and let it equal itself out.
I filled it ran it... filled it... ran it... filled it to the line 1 last time then ran it for 10 minutes straight, opened the reservoir and oil came spilling out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
I also do find that after the quad is good and warmed up the oil does expand and moves up on the crosshatches about 1/2 and inch.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem when I changed my Grizzley's oil. I added the 2.11 quarts and let the machine run. When I let it cool, the dipstick showed overfull. So I drained some of the oil.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

If you over fill the 660 raptor it pops out a seal behind the main drive sprocket. You should get it right. The 700 raptor has the same inconsistent method.
I put just under the recomended amount of oil. Go for a good 10 minute ride to make sure it is hot. Jump off on a level surface, wait about 1-2 minutes then check with the dipstick not screewed in. Usualy I have to add a touch of oil to the Yamaha specs. It is a pain and takes a while to get used to but after a while it wont worry you.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:15 AM
Trailblazer

The oil in my 660 does expand markedly after an hour run in warm weather. It almost reaches the initial warm overfull mark I mentioned above when I check it in the hot condition. I saw this warning on an online available older model 660 service manual :

"Never remove the dipstick just after high speed operation because the heated oil could spurt out. Wait until the oil cools down before removing the dipstick."

Ron

Old 04-26-2006, 03:26 AM
Pro Rider

Here is a tip for you: Dont quote the friggin crap Yamaha manuals.
It is a simple process that several people have explained here for you. They have real experience and know their quads, take their advice and dont worry about the manual. Most of the time they are written in Chinglish and dont make sense anyway. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Overfull from Factory?