Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Newbie gets first ATV, '99 Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie gets first ATV, '99 Warrior

Hey guys,
This is my first time on this forum. I bought my first quad, but it's not the first one I've riden....although I've only ridden Ute's before. It already has mods done to it, like FMF PowerBomb header, FMF Powercore 2 pipe, K&N filter, and several dress-up items from Cascade Innovations. I'm presuming it's been jetted up for the mods already, but I'll do a wide-open run to find out. The original owner who I bought it from also put Douglas wheels and sand tires on all four corners too. I got the stock wheels/tires to boot for trail riding. It also has shock covers, chromed A-arms and polished foot pegs.

The bike is clean and the plastic is a better than what I'd expect on a 7-yr old machine. I ended up paying $2000 for it and think I got a good deal. I'm up in Oregon. Now I just have to find some trails around Portland to hit and have some fun.

~Ronbo

Old 05-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer

Congrats on the new ride. Warriors are real fun machines especially with mods. And welcome to the forums.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Congrats on your purchase. Take care of it and it'll last a long time.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. I'm stoked about getting it out and playing with it. But I don't have any literature to explain mechanical adjustments, etc. The rear shock seems a little soft, as the back end sags a little too much under my 220 lbs. How do I stiffen it up some. I'm sure it's possible, but don't know how. I guess what I need is a manual, but have only seen Clymers manuals on eBay. If they're like the Chiltons/Haynes manuals I've had for my cars it'll just describe R & R procedures. Anyone know where I can get my hands on an original Warrior manual?

Thanks,
Ronbo

Old 05-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Grats on ride and welcome to forum [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer

You can usually get the original manual at the dealer but they are pricey. Clymers manuals are probably a better bet then the OEM replacement because it shows you pictures of the actual machine being worked on. Sometimes you can find stuff on ebay too.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Here's the yamaha service manual that you can download.
http://members.toast.net/rikoster/atv/a6s5e71sda.pdf

Old 05-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ronbo, you may be able to tighten the spring on the rear shock. If you look there should be a coller near the bottom of the shock that has a stairstep type notch in it. Change the shocks spring preload by changing which of the steps is used to control the shock length. I am pretty sure the new Raptor 350 has the threaded type of adjuster on the top of the shock. If you have this style also just tighten the collers down to stiffen the shock. You can use a spanner wrench, or just beat on it with a hammer and screwdriver like all the rednecks do(me included [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])

Old 05-06-2006, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

AWESOME, GUYS!!! This is just what I was looking for! 'Specially the manual, Recon99. And thanks for the shock adjustment advice Scooter86. I can't wait to rip it up.

Would it be wise to switch to synthetic oil? Also, where's the best source for oil filters? Should I look nline, at the dealer ($cha-ching$) or does any chain store carry them?

Grassyass,
Ronbo

Old 05-06-2006, 06:16 AM
Pro Rider

Most likely will have to get your oil filters from dealer or online. You need to use a ATV oil, oil for cars have

detergents in them that will wear out your clutch.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Newbie gets first ATV, '99 Warrior