Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Clutch Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Slipping

I have a 82 yamaha tri-moto 125 3 wheller.My clutch was slipping so i put new clutches in.I took it for a drive and samething.I tighened the clutch same thing and some more still samething.I changed the oil (had the wrong stuff) and it was fine for 2 smaller rides.Now it is doing it again.This time it would not move even in first gear if you feathered the throttle it would just bog and die.Today i drove and samething so i let it cool down for about 15 min. and it was fine again and it just started doing it once i got back.This is starting to get real old.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Clutch Slipping

It's hard to say. Are you sure that you have the free play on the lever adjusted properly?

If you were using the wrong kind of oil after you installed the new clutch you could have permenantly damaged it. If you used automotive oil originally the friction modifiers probably filled in the friction plates on the clutch, making the clutch plates smooth and causing them to slip. Once this happens the best thing to do is replace the clutch.

I don't want to say that's definitely your problem, because i'd hate to have you replace it and end up with the same problem, but my best guess is that your new clutch was messed up by the wrong oil.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch Slipping

When you mean lever you mean the one that you you shift with your foot right (there is no hand one like a clutch)?I was told too spray them with a cleaner that drys fast like brake cleaner.I just hate to tear it apart again (had too 2 times already).I was thinking of tearing it apart again spraying off with brake cleaner then soaking them all in the good oil.I was also told that the wrong oil i used will not hurt them i just have to clean them some how.Do you know if letting them sit in the sun would hurt them?I think that the heat would draw the oil out of the plates.What i don't get is after it cooled down how come it was fine for a bit again?

Old 05-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch Slipping

I just cleaned the whole assembly with brake cleaner, i cleaned everything in there and i soaked the plates in the new (right) oil lol.All i can do now is hope for the best.I will take it for a ride tomarrow and let you know how it goes.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch Slipping

I drove it and it works fine too 3rd gear.In 4th gear it will not over rev it just wants too bog and die and 5th gear is still the same.I did notice that there was some burrs on the houseing that holds the clutch plates from them wearing over the years, could this be my problem?I don't know why but because it will not over rev makes me think it's a fuel problem, it still does up too 3rd gear if you want it too.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Clutch Slipping

The clutch wouldn't have anything to do with it bogging down. Rough spots on the clutch basket can cause erratic operation, and they should have been filed down before it was re-assembled, but that still wouldn't have anything to do with bogging down. I'd start by cleaning out the carb, cleaning the air filter, then do a few plug chops to see where the jetting is at.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch Slipping

What do you mean by plug chops?I took the oil injection off of the atv because of the age and just incase it fails, it is still hooked up just unpluged.I mix the gas 500ml too 5 gal of gas not sure what ratio that gives me.I guess i should check out the reeds too.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Clutch Slipping

A plug chop is using the color of the tip of the spark plug to make a judgement on how the jetting ratio is. A snow white tip means you're too lean, a black or dark brown tip is too rich, and the target is a tan color. Being a 2 stroke the old plug will inevitably be black because of burning premix, so you'll have to put a new plug in to test.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch Slipping

I know most stuff about atv's but this has got me stumped.Do i have to drive it around or would just letting it idle be enough?

Old 05-15-2006, 12:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Slipping

Originally posted by: mbmudder
I know most stuff about atv's but this has got me stumped.Do i have to drive it around or would just letting it idle be enough?
Idle will just tell you if your pilots are working, you need to run the bike up to top end and then shut it off immediately.

Quick Reply: Clutch Slipping