Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

700R First Ride!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700R First Ride!!!

Well, I got it on Tuesday and played some in the dirt today.To start I'll said that theres no need for first gear in the Raptor,its useless. Take off is perfect in 2nd gear. You might be able launch in 3rd in the right soil.I'm going to run a 13 up front because I love low end, and thats what the raptor has. Tons of low end. It was alittle hard to read the motor in the high RPM"S and find the perfect shift points.I'll learn that. I think the motor has ALOT of potential if you have the cash.Even if I don't put any more money in the motor, I'll be happy with it.The tranny feels good. Felt better than my 400Z.Smoother and crisper. That might be because of the motor to.

Now to the ride.Its soft, I liked it.I do alot of trail riding and dragging so it works perfect for me.I do ride at the track now and than. I think it will work just fine there to. Not as stiff as my 400z. The steering seems alittle tight compared to my Z. It also seems top heavy to me. Felt like it wanted to roll more in the corner. I was told that it was going to do this so I can't complain.

Now to other stuff. I LOVE the look of the Raptor and so did all my friends and family. The rear fenders look like elf ears which I think is cool. The frame is TIGHT.I've always liked the looks of the CR line of Honda dirt bikes. This has the same look. The rear swing arm is nice and clean and has a great look. Front fenders are pretty normal with another flare to them.

Thats all guys. Great quad.I like mine alot. Well worth the money. Could handle better and have more power but we all want that. Very easy to ride. If your thinking about a Raptor, just do it. You will have no regrets.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Cool!...........Congrats on the new 700! I love mine aswell. If you think it's got torque now, wait till you put on a full pipe, open K&N intake, and EFI controller. Its "almost" unusable torque........(Naw, no such thing)...........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
If I were you I would hold off on that sprocket. It would just put you out of the powerband faster, let the torque work FOR you not against you. The shift points are a little tricky for max speed. It's actually faster if you short shift it while drag racing, even after a pipe..........and thats not always easy to do but you'll get it down. As for the handling, a softer ride is usually associated with a bit of leanage in the turns but like you said its not that bad. A lot better than the 660 was.............and you could always bolt on a pair of YFZ shocks too!

Old 06-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

Good Post Ozark! I would agree with Ozark, keep that stock front sprocket until you get a few Hrs. on her, and a little more exp. with the 700 low end power band, and then decide. Going from a 400z to a 700r is a dramatic differerce with hp @ rpm, anyway that was my exper. having also a 400z ,but mine was a white suz 400z. Whats up with that green, you mean some guys actually do buy those, if you still own that thing I'll give you some free paint, because no guy should have to go thru life like that! It's just wrong! <--- Just K [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Congrat's on your purchase of the 700 you'll love it! and welcome to the Yami Fourm!

Old 06-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Range Rover

I got mine a few week's ago, and I am doing the same thing going from a z-400 too the 700. I got a HMF pipe gytr filter and dobeck efi controller. The big problem is I have too wait 4-5 month's too ride since it is to hot in the desert right now.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:46 AM
Trailblazer

Hey guys, Thanks for the welcome. My old KFX was a runner. It has a 440 BB,41mm fcr, hot cams,yoshi full comp, and a vortex box. It ran like a two stroke. I liked it alot.It never let me down.It was hard to part with, but I sold it.I just loved what the raptor had to offer.So I got one. My KFX would beat stock 450's . Piped and jetted 450's was a toss up.

I sold the KFX to my best friend. I'll let you know how it goes with the Rappy againist the KFX.I'm stock now, but I have GYTR full exhaust coming and the GYTR intake and filter.Should be fun. BTW, I had to load the KFX for him. He couldn't even get the KFX into the back of his F250. Keep killing the KFX with 6ft ramps. I have a Ram2500 which sits higher and I can just power the rappy in. with 6ft ramps. I COULDN'T DO THAT WITH THE KFX. I more less jumped it in.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Crashman, Liked mine alot also. I've rode a lot of different Quads and from a handeling & Steering aspect the Z was always my favorite. It Powers out of corners great, and you can almost steer with the back tires only, and has a overall ligther feel than most others on the market, but mine was White[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Spend a fewwww dollars on suspension, Tires, and the like for your 700 and you'll love it !
Not to mention with a few simple motor mods. you'll be smoken that 440. Bore & Port You'll be a 700 addict all the way!
Happy Ridding