Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HMF speed increase by radar

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HMF speed increase by radar

I finally got a new HMF for my 350 Raptor. I was anxious to see the results of the net gain. So I put the pipe on and lowered the needle according to HMF specs and it really runs great like that. I will probably have to rejet once I put on the GYTR filter.

Of course as we all know the HMF exhaust sounds absolutely badass. It has a really deep rumble when starting. It sounds fast just sitting there. I did notice wheelies came up much easier.

But is it really faster? Time to break out the radar gun.

The first test was top speed.
Stock this time the Raptor topped out at 59 with a couple of 60 miles per hour passes. This is close to every article I have read where the top speed of the Raptor was accurately checked by radar or GPS. This was with outside temperature right at 100 degrees and the tires with low tire pressure. If I cranked up the tire pressure and if it was a cooler day it might of squeeked another mph or 2 out of it.

With the pipe it reached 63 mph consistently. That is more than a 5% gain in top speed, which I think is pretty good for just a pipe. It consistently hit 63, which makes me think I am now maxing the RPM's and at the top of the gearing for the Raptor.

How about acceleration?

For this I did a shorter run to see what speed was reached at around 430 feet. The stock raptor hit 51 mph. With the new HMF exhaust and needle clip dropped one it would reach 53 mph in the same distance. Again pretty good gains in a short sprint for just a pipe.

The next test will be when I put on the GYTR filter and rejet.