Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Weight Loss & 250R-like Handling

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000 | 01:48 PM
Trailblazer

Hiya Scooby!

Sure. I meant to post the link and forgot!

http://www.ameritech.net/users/flowresearch/ban1.htm

Check it out. Stage 5 at 100 horsepower.

Old 12-02-2000 | 09:00 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

Where can I find some info on laeger frames for the banshee? How much does the frame cost and what does it include? I saw a laeger banshee for sale. It had toomey pipes so it looks like the laeger frame may be a better option than the outlaw chassis, if I want more choices in pipes that will fit? The lobo chassis is expensive.

Old 12-03-2000 | 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

Scooby, for info on Laegar Pro-trax chassis, you can contact Alan Knowles at CT Racing. I was thinking along the same lines you are until I spoke with him. Alan did some testing on the Raptor's before any magazine types had even seen one and I was speaking with him at that time about bulding the "ultimate" recreational machine for me. I will share what I know.
First off, the Laegar frame is around 2200 bucks. It is 250R geometry, but accepts Banshee cooling, body, engine, and related stuff. Then you can go with normal 250R spindles, but you have to use all Honda brakes and steering. The other way is thier T-pin front end which allows for crazy long travel( in the neighborhood of 13 inches). This setup is around 2100 bucks and includes a-arms, tierods, spindles, steering stem, and related hardware. You can use either Banshee or 250R brakes with this setup but you have to let them know which when you order. On to the backend, you can use either Honda, or Banshee brakes, but you can only use 250R linkage, or cr500 linkage. The cr500 linkage allows for long travel and is a personal preferance. So, you are in the machine for 4300 and you have not ridden it. If you are lucky you pick up a 1500 dollar (or cheaper) 250R parts machine and rebuild what you need off of it or you just get a beater Banshee and part it out. You still need plastic, all kind of odd and end BS and and and. The list goes on until you have spent over 12 grand on it. Alan is a 250R freak and recommends buying a good 250R and spending money on good TCS shocks, A-arms and wider axle, and one of his engine kits. The stock frame on the 250R's are suitable for mortals once they have been stripped, gusseted, and powdercoated. If the frame is a complete write-off, ARENS BROS sells an excellent unit for around 1700 bucks. I was riding my Banshee today and I feel that if you were to do the TCS shocks and wider a-arms you would have a pretty awesome machine. I am waiting on a FMF pipe for my 'R' and I will see how it runs that way as compared to the Banshee.
One last thing, My Banshee with Paul turner mid range pipes is very quick out of the hole, jumping ahead of a toomey Banshee and a FMF Banshee. The toomey machine was able to pass me on the top end. There were no Raptors around to race. I am still waiting to see one in action for more than a few minutes.