Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Weight Loss & 250R-like Handling

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2000 | 10:03 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

What parts are available that will reduce the weight of the banshee, putting it closer to the weight of a trx250r? What are the options for improving the handling to make it more like a trx250r?

I'm looking into buying a banshee and making mods for handling improvement and weight reduction, if possible. I'm also looking into having some motor work done to bring the HP up to 70 or more.

Thanks.

Old 11-26-2000 | 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

for handling lone-star has a outlaw chassi that is the best (i think for the money and the time till you get it) for a banshee (great handling.) as for less weight depends how far you want to go (drilled frame)

Old 11-26-2000 | 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

I have one question.Why are you trying to make a banshee like a 250r?WHy not just get a trx250r?

Old 11-27-2000 | 12:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Jeepin....I believe Scooby wants the 250r handling and the HP potential of the Banshee.

Old 11-27-2000 | 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

How much does a lonestar frame cost?

Old 11-27-2000 | 08:01 PM
bob
Trailblazer

just my opinion, but i think its far more cost effective, and easier to get a 250R to make more power than get a banshee to handle better

Old 11-27-2000 | 08:57 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

bob, how much power are you talking about? 50hp or more than this?

Old 11-27-2000 | 10:36 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

87_250R, Does the raw lonestar banshee outlaw chassis w/250r geometry accept trx250r aftermarket a-arms, shocks, axle, steering stem, seat, fenders, etc? The frame becomes compatible with a trx250r, but accepts a banshee motor? Or, once I go with this chassis, I'm stuck with a narrow selection of custom parts to complete the build of the ATV? What about pipes - which will fit?

I noticed that www.lsracing.com lists several different types of frames - motorcross, TT, sand duning, cross country, etc. What are the differences in the chassis?

Old 11-28-2000 | 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

Scooby, I am not sure what you are wanting to do so I will give you a rundown on my own limited experience. I will address power first. I rode a CT350 kit 250R that had no powervalve and set up for race gas. Probably the fastest machine I have ever been on. Cruising in 4th, whack the throttle open and WILDLY spin tires on asphault. Drawbacks are race gas only, expensive, and more costly topends as well as more vibration. There are a huge selection of overbore/big bore kits out but it is my understanding that a properly set up stock motor with mild porting, pipe, carb, ram valve, etc, will push 40 to 45 reliable, easy to ride ponies. That is the route I am taking.
As for the Lonestar Banshee, what you are talking about here is a machine that has Banshee body, radiator, motor, cooling, plastic, etc. that also uses all TRX250R steering, spindles, swingarm, brakes, wheels, a-arms, ETC. This is a very costly ordeal and with the newer power valved "R" top ends, I think that this would not be a very cost effective way to go. Laegar has the same setup but call it a "Lobo" chassis. You can opt to use Banshee hubs and brakes, but you have to use the T-pin front end which is better than 2100 dollars. That only gets you a-arms, spindles, tie rods, and I think the steering stem.
Lonestar makes different types of frames for motocross, desert, and drag racing. Of course, the drag frame is very light and sacrafices strength. The Baja/cross country frame is lighter than stock, and has extra gussets for ultimate strength. The motocross is lighter than the Baja, but still stronger than stock. Hope this helped, if you want more detailed info just email me. I have two "R" s and a Banshee so I can give you some direct insight. Use dcrummers@aol.com.

Old 11-28-2000 | 07:43 AM
Range Rover

Scooby: Contact K&K atv out of Mass..... they just built one of these last year (outlaw banshee)
It uses all 250r suspension but w/ a banshee motor and plastic. They had alot of problems finding pipes that would work w/ the ct370 that they used for a motor(fit and performance) Everyone that I talked to that rode it said it was the best of both worlds. All the power and then some w/ even better handling
Ask for Shawn and I am sure he will help you out and set the record straight

walter

Quick Reply: Banshee Weight Loss & 250R-like Handling