Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak sputtering???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak sputtering???

Hi everyone I have a 06 Kodiak that I have been having some issues with the last few weeks. When I run it sometimes it runs fine and other times it just sputters and backfires when I mash the throttle? My first thought was bad gas so I drained and replaced to no avail.

I have read many suggestions as to what the problem may be that have been offered on this and other forums. I have run a tank of gas through with carb cleaner along with checking all hoses for obstructions. I have drained off the carb along with the entire fuel system. Plug has been checked and no issues have been located. I took the tank off and drained the remainder out and removed the valve and filter. The filter had some crud on it, but nothing major that might attribute to the lack of power or gas.

What is weird is it will run sometimes perfect and other times it will sputter when under load. Idle is fine and even when you rev it in neutral it is good, but once in gear blah!
Last night riding it home from a 4th party it was fine for the first mile then I had to fully choke the engine to get it to 30 mph. Earlier it ran like crap and then for no reason starting running fine?
My thoughts are that there is an issue with the fuel system but at this point I'm not sure where else to look?

Any help is appeciated and from the other questions on this subject could this be a flaw in my beloved Kodiak?

Old 07-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If pulling the choke on( which actually opens a starter jet, and allows more gas in, and doesnt restrict air like a real choke does), then you issue is the carb is leaning out.
Check for the connections on the carb to motor. Something may have loosened up, and letting too much air in.
Also drop the float bowl on the carb, and look for crud in there. Sometimes the crud is a bunch of floaty looking stuff, and every now and then, the floatys block the main jet. And youd get yout kodis symptoms. Then the floatys settle back down, and the jet clears out, and it runs fine.
When it acts up like this..does it still idle ok?

Old 07-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

It idles fine when doing this. I will pull the carb tonight and see if there is anything blocking the jets. Is there anything I should be careful about when cleaning them out?

Thanks for the tips and I will let you know what the results are.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

I'd just take it to the dealer,it's under warrenty is'nt it?

Old 07-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Warentee wont cover carb cleaning.
As long as youre there, add an inline fuel filter, to keep any new crud from entering the float bowl.
When you get the float bowl off, look for stuff in the bottom of the bowl. Then remove the main jet, and make sure the center hole which goes thru it, is clear.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

You dont tell them to clean the carb under warrenty you tell"em it wont run and to fix it cause it under warrenty

Old 07-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Called the dealer first and they stated that it was past the 6 month Yamaha ATV warranty.

I will tear into the carb and let everyone know.

I also thought of adding an inline filter to prevent this at a latter date. That is if that is the reason for the ailment.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I tore into the carb and used some carb cleaner to blow it out. I also blew the filters out and ran some gas through the entire system to see if there were any obstructions. Gas ran fine though so I hooked it all back up and dumped a couple a gallons of fresh gas in. She started right up and ran fantastic for two hours of fast and slow driving. I took it out last night for a 15 min road ride and it acted fine. My next test will be sunday when I fill her up and take a long ride on some local trails.

Thanks for the help and I can only assume that something got into the jets of the carb and was causing the issue.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Good to hear its running good.

To prevent the stuff from getting in the jets again, add the inline filter, and whenever, the quad is done for a day or longer, leave the float bowl empty. You can either turn the tank valve to off, and run it til it dies, or shut it down, turn the valve to off, and use the float bowl drain, to drain it empty.

Old 07-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP, BUT I HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MY 2003 KODIAK 450. MINE SPUTTERED AND STOPPED RUNNING. I KNEW I HAD GAS SO I PULLED ONE OF THE FUEL LINES BEFORE THE FUEL VALVE , NO GAS. I LOOSENED THE GAS CAP, GAS SPILLED ALL OVER. RETIGHTENED THE CAP AND I WAS ON MY WAY. NEVER HAD THE PROBLEM AGAIN. YOU FIGURE IT OUT. A FRIEND OF MINE WITH A 2005 KODIAK 450 ALSO EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEM. HE TOOK IT BACK TO THE DEALER AND HAD THEM CHECK IT OUT. JUST NEEDED TO HAVE THE CARB JETS ADJUSTED. HOPE THIS HELPS

Quick Reply: Kodiak sputtering???