Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

No Spark on Banshee

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark on Banshee

Well my son parked his banshee, cause of a carrier bearing problem.. Got that fixed then went to go start it up and only one clylinder/exhuast was smoking. Changed the plugs, and still the same problem. Took the plug off and checked for spark on the left side, no spark, then went to check the right side, then no spark. Just like that. Went from one side running to none at all. Went through the harness and checked for ohms and volts from the Stator to the harness. Got ohms comming from the stator, but No ohms comming out of the coil. Checked the spark plug wires, got ohms comming through that, but not the caps.

Is it safe to say that the coil is bad. I put the meter on the coil, where the orange and black wires go,, put the red on orange terminal, and black on the black side and got .5 is that to much?? It should be like .25--.36 right? I dont know where else to check. No ohms going through the coil.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-08-2006, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

My cousin is having the exact same prob with his blaster right now. He went through and tested everything u mentioned and replaced the wire that the spark plug attaches to and it still didnt help. If he figures out whats wrong ill get back with you and let you know what the deal is. In the mean time good luck and if you figure it out please let me know.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

Got the coil put on, but still no spark. Went through all the wires to check for current, and they are all ok.. Is there something small I am missing here.. NEED SOME HELP PLEASE.

Maybe the throttle cut off thing, or parking brake thing. WIll those cut spark off if they go bad??

Old 07-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

First off disconnect the T.O.R.S. control unit. It's a Molex plug located under the tank on the upper left hand side of the frame. Now check to see if you have any spark.
As for coil resistance, the primary coil should ohms out at 0.28 - 0.38
The secondary will ohms out at 4,700 - 7,100

Old 07-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

When I check for secondary ohms, it does not show anything on my meter. With the old and the new coil. Maybe I dont have the right meter. It is a multi with only when selection that will do volts, or ohms.

Would the cdi be bad? I forgot to mention. When the bike starting acting up, when only one cylinder was running, the throttle was funny. ALmost like if it was binding or getting stuck, and when the bike was running it was real sensitive, but hard to push. COuld this be the TORS??

Old 07-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

It could be the T.O.R.S, thats why you need to unplug it. If the throttle lever adjustment is incorrect, it will cause an ignition problem. But when you unplug the T.O.R.S. this will eliminate that component. Your Banshee will still run with the T.O.R.S. unpluged. Give it a try.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Well unplugged the TORS, and still no spark. I now am thinking its the CDI.

Here is a another question, if the rings are going bad, and loosing compression, will this make it loose spark also?

What is the average compression of a Stock Banshee? Maybe I will check that also. 2003 Banshee.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:46 AM
Pro Rider

OK I must have been unplugging the wrong connector. Now I unplugged the 3prong connector that goes to a little black box bolted to the frame on the left side under the tank. IS that the TORS..Anyway, got spark now,, bike would not start, so we pulled started it, it started, but started screaming like the throttle was stuck, Which the throttle was not stuck.

Could the throttle piston things be stuck open or the floats?

Any suggestions on this?

By the way, thank you enForcer for all the help. I appreciate it.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, you found the T.O.R.S. connector. Sounds like it might be a problem with the throttler cable. There is a little site glass on each carb, see if the carbs are synchronized. Check the slides and springs in the carbs.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks. Got it today. RIght side carb was stuck open. SLide would not go down. TOok it out and cleaned it up, and got it to slide down. WOrks good now.

Got a new coil out of this mishap, but I guess that is OK.

Thanks, again for all the help.