Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

water in belt case, regrease clutch???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in belt case, regrease clutch???

Got a belt case full of water on my 06 grizz, let it all drain out and someone told me
i should regrease the clutch, i removed belt case and belt and clutch plates look good. How do you grease the clutches? Thanks for any help.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you get the service manual, it will step you thru the whole thing. Its not difficult, and heres a couple of online articles on the how to. You should get an idae after reading them, whether or not you want to do it yourself, or have someone else do it.
Like i say, its not difficult, but it does take a couple of hours to do.

Gizzhoppers site

or

totally yamaha

Old 07-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Trailblazer

hondabuster thanks for the help, grizz link is great definatly something i can handle. should this be done ofter after riding in water evry time of once a year or so?

Old 07-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Youll notice theres not any filtering , on the tranny breathers, so if you ride in realy dusty conditions, you may want to keep on eye on how the condition of the grease is. Itll start to pick up the grit and dirt, and then it needs to be relubed.
If you really swamp the tranny, to the point that the plug needs to be pulled to drain the case, then you should at least pull the cover and look at the condition of the grease.
If you notice the top speed has dropped, then thats a definete sign the grease is over due for a cleaning and changing.
Depending on how much dust and water the inside of the case sees, will determine how often the grease needs to be looked at.
Dont skimp on the grease, it takes about 1 ounce per weight (about 1/2 pound total), if you buy the ultramatic grease, is about 18 bucks a pound. Ive been using the Amsoil Synthetic marine grease, and it seems to work just fine, and is only 4 bucks a pound.
If you click on the camera, to the left of the post, youll see my gallery, and picture 11, shows how i hold the pulley still, to loosen and tighten the nut. Its ok to remove the nut with an impact wrench, but it should be tightened with a torque wrench.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

The grease in there is pretty sturdy, and will hold up to the water, but it also does attract solid objects.

We go creek riding all the time and get water in the belt housing every now and again... Just draining it out should be fine... (note the well placed drain plug) You do however need to keep an eye out for sand, mud or other debri that might get in there... If it were me, I would just check the housing every time you change the oil, unless you notice any performance change...

Old 07-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

i suggest using a dry moly-lube. grease will attract the dust that enters the air ducts.