Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly sheared woodruff (crank) key - step on flywheel or not

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly sheared woodruff (crank) key??

Got a '99 Grizzly 600 that I bought not running after a mechanic did a valve job - the timing marks were out of alignment - lined them up and all was well until it backfired and now it's off again - I'm thinking the woodruff key sheared and threw the ignition timing way off... (cam marks are lined up when the piston is at TDC, but the crank mark on the stator flywheel is way off now...)

OK - pulled it apart and it did shear the key - now my question is this - it's galled up a little bit from spinning on the crank, but it's also got a little "step" at the end of the taper on the flywheel - is this from spinning or is this machined in from the factory? I looked at it and couldn't tell, although it doesn't look as dark grey as the spun area so I'm thinking it's factory.

Another question - is there anything to use between the crank and flywheel to take up some of the space from galling - loctite, a light glue, or epoxy? I know I probably should replace the flywheel and possibly the crank, but don't want to sink that kind of money into this thing and am looking for a repair that will get me by (I just use it around the campsites and close by so no long/far trips with it...