Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

DIY Replacing Blaster gears?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Replacing Blaster gears?

By the end of the day I may have my first quad. I'm working on getting a 1995 Yamaha Blaster. It has a few things wrong with it and I wrote on here before about if it's worth the price. I've decided it is and I'm almost sold on it. The main problem with this thing is the gears are off. The guy I'm buying from says first gear pops out sometimes and fourth is gone completely, but the others work perfect and the bike runs strong. I would like to replace/tune the gears myself and I think I can open up a blaster bottom end. My question is how hard is this to do with normal shop tools and moderate mechanical skills? Could it be that the gears just need to be repositioned or something that won't need me replacing them? I'm just trying to decide if I can do this or if I'll be bringing it to a shop. Thanks for the input.
Travis

Old 07-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Replacing Blaster gears?

You will defiantly need a flywheel puller, but it is the same for most two stroke atv's and motorcycles. They say you need a crankcase seperator, but I was able to pull it with a harmonic balancer puller to do it. Some people even seperate them without any special tools, but you have be careful. You will probably have to get a seal kit since your splitting the case. Since you will have the case open you might as well replace the crankshaft bearings there cheap the rest of the bearings. A clymer manual might be a good investment to. If not I might be able to post some pics from it. My website has a lot of links to Blaster websites you might check them out. The first gear popping out might be a shift fork or synchronizer.