Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

700 Raptor Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 Raptor Questions...

Ok, here's my story, and I would really appreciate any responses...

My plan for next summer was to buy a YZF-R6... But then my brother went out and bought a Can-Am 800 Outlander... And I gotta say, I've become quite fond of driving it...

Through lots of thinking, I've decided a crotch rocket may not be the smartest route for me, because with my speed obsession, I would have myself killed within a week, and have once again talked myself out of it...

So now that I've been driving this Outlander... which a the moment tops out at about 75 mph... I hear some peoples get up to 82, maybe it has to break in, i duno, but regardless, I love the thing.. and I've decided I need my own, but not a work quad. My brothers is for hunting.. i figure in the end I will get more fun out of a quad than a crotch rocket anyway, and chances of survival are much higher [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Now, my question... First off, I love speed, and my goal will be to make this Raptor go as fast as possible.. I'm looking @ a 07/08 700, won't be buying it till next summer, so probably 08... But I need to start learning more about ATV's so when the time comes I know what I am going to do... How fast does a stock 700 go, mph wise, top speed... I'm just assuming it's the fastest ATV on the market right now, and it's a beauty to look at, and has caught my attention.. So what is the stock top speed approx?

Secondly... How fast could I get the thing going, and for how much money? What kind of kits/part am I looking at for maximum performance.. and what kind of $$, even though the money isn't an issue, I am curious, I do want the best bang for the buck...

In my dreams I want to get it going well over 100 mph (but as I don't know much about ATV's, I don't really know what's possible..), I want a speed machine... I wanna be holdin on for dear life [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So what kind of performance can I expect, and what parts should I be looking into purchasing along with the ATV to get the performance I desire...

Thanks a lot, all help is appreciated...

Old 07-16-2006, 02:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

so hmm... i take it my question is dumb or something?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

I'd just like to know how well the raptors perform... And how much $$ it takes to make them perform a lot better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-16-2006, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

very well stock and alot better with mods and alot of potential for mods

Old 07-16-2006, 03:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well.. What kind of mods will get me what type of performance? Any ideas... things I can look into?

Old 07-16-2006, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

Full Exhaust sytem
Pro-Flow intake and filter
FI controller

that were most start then if need more you start on the motor

Old 07-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After you get it, ride it stock for a bit to get used to it and be solid with the basics of riding. The 700 is plenty fast for trailriding just the way Yamaha sells it. Once you are ready to move up in power, the first step is definately going to be an intake, exhaust, and fi controller. If you have any inclination to mod the motor internally, get a full exhaust system at the start, not just a slip-on silencer. 100mph is possible, you will likely need a little more than an exhaust to get there though. IMO, 100 is to dang fast on one of these things, you should invest in making the thing longer and wider for that kind of speed.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks a lot guys... ya I would definitely get used to riding it first, don't worry about that... Gotta sit a few out so I can let that new dent in my wallet fill itself in again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Then, once I have the experience, and i'm feeling good financially again I'll get some mods goin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I've actually decided to buy it this year... probably have it within a month.. and my guess is I won't mod it until next summer..

Thanks again though

Old 07-16-2006, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a scary fast quad,buy a banshee.The sky's the limit on mods.

The 450's(honda,suzuki,and yamaha) and the 700 raptor are all quads with potential if you really want a 4-stroke.I'm impressed the most with the suzuki 450 but the other 450's are great too.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well i was really considering a TRX 450 R... but I hear they are pretty challenging to ride in the trails, and Raptors are a lot easier...

And my brother has been trying to convince me to go with a Banshee, and I've thought about it.. but how are they for trail riding?

Old 07-17-2006, 05:43 AM
Pro Rider

If your all about speed then i would deffenitly go with the banshee. With a few hundred bucks on top of the quad price you can go damn close too 100mph. Plus there gunna stop making them soon, so get it while u can.

I ride mine in the trails 90% of the time and love it. You can learn to time the powerband at the top of the whoops and just fly across em.

Quick Reply: 700 Raptor Questions...