Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RAPTOR CLUTCH PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 03:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has any one had any problems with clutches on their raptors.I raced mine for my first ever ATV race at a hare scrambles race in Fort Smith arkansas last weekend and it appears that I either broke something inside ,or fried the clutch beyond existence.The truly sad part of the story is that I was in 1st place with about a 10 min. lead on 2nd.With only 10 min. left of a 2 hr. race. Now before all you raptor haters post about how unreliable or cheaply made this bike is
bear in mind that Fort Smith Ark. recieved 4.5 inches of rain the 2 days before this race.which made it a true test for any 4 wheeler.In spite of my bad luck I must say that my raptor exceeded every expectation of what I wanted it to do for me.2nd to last on the start.1st after approx.3 miles after the start.Raced four stroke class.
Class was infested with 400ex's,and a couple of warriors (which were buddies of mine).Even though
my bike is broken for now, I still must say what
an excellent job Yamaha did in designing this bike.
P.S. I will post some race photos when I figure out how to.

Old 11-28-2000, 01:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

After many hours of riding my Raptor, I have had no trouble or fade with the clutch. A small gripe is that the clutch wants to drag a bit when I need to push it around (hot or cold engine). Did you notice any clutch fade before breaking down?

Old 11-28-2000, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

I did get clutch fade a couple of times but I didnt keep hammering on the clutch/bike. I raced a 2hour long HS and had no problems the only time I ever had a problem is when I had to ride the clutch bad on a hill!

Old 11-28-2000, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

I heard in this forum that the raptor clutch needs adjusting shortly after break-in or it holds up a little. I dont have mine yet so I`m not positive. I just remember reading that here.

Old 11-28-2000, 07:09 PM
Range Rover

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but I had to say that your user name is one of the best I've seen. That's hilarious.

Old 11-28-2000, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

I too had the clutch fade away totaly, but i stoped and let it cool and it was fine!! there was a couple of post in this forum a few weeks back and if i recall 4-5 guys had a clutch problem, My dealer says yamaha hasn't seen a string of them go bad yet and has no answer as to what the problem is! Let me know what your dealer says !

Old 11-28-2000, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

How was the race. I was going to race it but it happened on my Girlfriends birthday. I plan to Run the next season of harescrambles.

Old 11-28-2000, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry about the clutch. I have no idea what the problem is but I have been thinking about racing in the Arkansas HS series next season. Is it super competitive or could a beginner learn to race in the HS series? Thanks and I hope you get the clutch fixed soon!
Adam Biossat

Old 11-28-2000, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

RAPTORLIPS! hahaha LOL how original(your username)

Old 11-29-2000, 12:46 AM
did
Trailblazer

I got my raptor in Sept. I have ridden it 4 times very hard and have had no problems with the clutch. It is a 4 stroke so you have use it diffrently than a 2 stroke, you dont have to ride it or slip it as much. That might be some of the problem.

Quick Reply: RAPTOR CLUTCH PROBLEM