Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hope this Guy EATS his Raptor!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just on e-bay and found a Raptor for sale, never ridden, brand new for the starting bid of $7500. This joker is trying to make a grand on a machine that real ATV sport riders could have. I hope no one is foolish enough to pay this much for a raptor. I think its bad enough that dealers make you pay retail for the hot items. lets make this sport a buyers market not a sellers market! This way you get a deal and the dealer still makes money. YOU wouldn't go into a car dealership and ask to pay window sticker price or above would you? Here is a link so you can either bid or tell this guy he can eat his raptor http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...123081&r=0&t=0

Old 11-29-2000, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

better have something handy to wash it down with..

Old 11-29-2000, 12:42 AM
Range Rover

ECONOMICS 101

When demand exceeds supply, prices rise. When supply exceeds demand, prices fall.

This fundamental precept is most visibly at work every day in the Stock Market. In December 1973 the DJIA stood at 573, today it stands at 10,507.

The individual offering the Raptor on e-bay is no different than the stockbroker offering 1000 shares of XYZ Corp. on the floor of the NYSE at $2 more per share than what he paid for it. Will either individual get his asking price? Maybe. Or depending on how the market moves, they may be lucky to break even. They may even lose money.

While you might not go to a car dealer and pay over list price for a car, hundreds or even thousands of folks did just that only two months ago. Remember when Chrysler's PT Cruiser was released? Dealers were marking up the PT Cruiser anywhere from $1000 to $3000 over MSRP (sticker price), and they were besieged with more buyers than they had cars. Some individuals even fought with each other in the showroom to get their name on the waiting list first.

The simple moral to this story is, if you have little or no self-control, and you must always own the "latest and greatest", whether it is a Tickle-Me-Elmo (remember that craze, a $25 toy that sold for up to $250 - ten times its sticker price) or a PT Cruiser, or a Yamaha Raptor, the minute it hits the street, then you will most likely pay a premium for the privilege of being the first on your block to have one.

Supply and demand, it rules the world we live in. Get used to it.

Army Man

Old 11-29-2000, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

I understand economics 101 just fine. I just can't believe how many people are proud to pay too much for having the latest.
My 99 400 ex was in the second shipment to my dealer, demand was very high and I did not pay retail for it. Its my belief that dealers would actually make more money if they want to deal. They will make it off of repeat business from me and every one I tell about the deal I got. Word of mouth is some of the best advertising. Where as if I pay retail I can go any where. There has to be something said for keeping good customers.

Old 11-29-2000, 02:46 AM
Trailblazer

rhubler, I agree with you!

Old 11-29-2000, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

armyman is correct, look at the PS2, they are way overpriced on EBAY!

Old 11-29-2000, 07:08 AM
Pro Rider

Armyman states true facts of life.

After all, the word, "suggested," resides in "Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price (MSRP)," (emphasis added).

And, "what goes around, comes around." Mercenary price gougers suffer consequences, ultimately.

Before condemning inflated prices entirely, consider what YOU'D do, if YOU were a car dealer, who suffered years of Plymouth Valiants, etc., you couldn't GIVE away, and suddenly you get an allocation of a hot number like a PT Cruiser with customers fighting to give you a $ 3000 premium for, what would you do? "I'm sorry, sir, I couldn't POSSIBLY accept even a penny over the manufacturer's suggested retail price you see posted on the window sticker."

Right.

Diogenes

Old 11-29-2000, 09:09 AM
Range Rover

Diogenes,

Now you've done it! Just when I thought there was another voice of reason on this forum, you go and put the bad-mouth on the Plymouth Valiant, how gauche.

I learned to drive on a (then) brand new '63 Valiant with a 225 CI Slant-Six and a push button Torque-Flite transmission. What a fearsome beast it was. It could rip through the quarter-mile in 17.5 seconds at 71 MPH! Corvette owners trembled in fear when they saw me coming (especially after I rear-ended the guy just down the street). It was even faster than my Dad’s other car, a ’59 Fiat 600.

I think practicing with all those pebbles in your mouth has rattled your brains. Or was that the other Greek guy whose name begins with a “D”. You know the one, they named “Demo disks”, “Demo rides” and “Demo sthenes” (a type of plastic) after this guy. Sooner or later the lamplight will dawn on me.

Well, as the Thu-man (Thucydides) said when he was at Chariot Motors buying a pair of the Hottest new Wheels (ATVs only had two wheels in 440 BC) to hit the Peloponnesus (a really cool riding area, but Clinton’s “roadless” initiative has since put it off limits) since the Great Flood, when he thought his dealer had marked it up over list, “The strong exact what they can, and the weak grant what they must”. A pretty “bright” comment on economics for somebody who maintained a platonic relationship with Lysistrata.

Army Man

Old 11-29-2000, 09:37 AM
Range Rover

The dumbed-down American public encompasses a huge supply of cretins. And while demand for Big Mac assemblers at McD’s siphons off some of the supply, there are more than enough left over to make their way here. Some buy PT Cruisers, some Buy Raptors.

Here in America where perception is reality, and where the chic, and chic wannabes, have always adhered to the dictum, “That if you’ve got it, flaunt it”, what’s not to believe???

Army Man

Old 11-29-2000, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

Dang armyman, I was agreeing with everything you said in this thread & then you went "Dennis Miller" on us!

Quick Reply: Hope this Guy EATS his Raptor!