Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Mothers aluminum polish?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2000, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey can Mothers aluminum polish polish brushed aluminum so it is shiny like polished aluminum, im gonna buy AC nerfs and I cant find the polished ones anywhere and was wondering if i can get them just as shiny with the polish? also do you just rub it on the aluminum and its shiny or do you have to work at it?

Old 11-29-2000, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

To polish aluminium, you have to do it with a special "tool"...it's like a grinder, but instead of grinding disc, you have a cotton or very soft rotating disc. You better put some gum on the cotton to make rub a little. It's much better when the grinder is big and bolted to the ground.
With enough patience (nerf bars will be AWFUL to polish), you will get a mirror. When I did that on some parts, the flat places were real mirrors...looked sooo sweet...didn't want to put them back on the car . One thing you have to watch for is little (tiny) defaults, that will come out once it's polished. It has to be really smooth if you don't want to see defaults after it's done.

Old 11-29-2000, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Youll have to work at it. Try and get a polishing wheel or use a drill and attach a metal rod and wrap it with cloth that you can dip in to the polish and polish it at high speed with.

Old 11-30-2000, 01:21 AM
Range Rover

my dad uses mothers and the wheel on his banshee all the time..think he cleans more than rides..
the mothers works good you rub it in then you get a new towl and rub it off untill you get that shine.anther thing we used is neverdull its kinda like mothers but it comes in like little peices of cloth and you can rub that on the nerfs and use a towl to make it shine.We picked are whell at ace hardware he went through like three of them,it makes everything shine nice....hope i helped and made sense

Old 11-30-2000, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Home depot and get the 3 dico wheels and 3 compounds. It is a 3 step process with compounds. They come out like chrome. I have done numerous parts. I also did my graydon nerf bars. They ttok a while but look great. I also did the bead lock rings. The anodized color fades on them so get the silver rings. I had to sand them down first then i polished them. Good luck. It may take a while but the final result looks great. Oh and be sure to wear something on your face cause the ploshing can cause you face to turn black from the alumium

Old 11-30-2000, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

for maintaining that shine, see the product review for luster shield on this site, you can also buy a product from there site to clean the rims, it's similar to never dull but better, this stuff works great.