Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

K&N filter and jet in my Grizzly WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 07:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a K&N filter and jet kit in my Grizzly. What a difference, anyone who owns a Grizz knows about the flat spot about three quarters of the way through the powerband. The low end is about the same. But when you hammer it and hold it there now it just screams right to redline no more waiting for things to come alive. the installation is a real pain in thee ***. You have to stip the whole front end down to get at the carb. Once you get there you have to take the carb off. not to tough till you have to take off the throttle cable. Seems the engineers at Yamaha invented a nerve racking little brass insert to hold the cable fast to the throttle plate. This will have you talking to yourself more than you care to. The dirrections are pretty simple. Good Luck Hambone!!!!!

Old 12-01-2000, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Did the filter and jets come as a set? How much did they cost? Thanx

Rick

Old 12-01-2000, 08:33 AM
Trailblazer

What did it do to the bottom end. Like right off the line?

Also, is your Grizz stock other than the K+N kit?

Old 12-01-2000, 06:57 PM
Range Rover

Hey 01Grizzly yes it came as a kit. Air cleaner, air cleaner cleaner, air cleaner oil, 5 diferrent jets for different altitudes and piping, the new needle jet and a airfilter cover. I picked the kit up at my local Yamaha dealer. The price was $105.oo dollars, a little expensive.But it made a huge difference.

Old 12-01-2000, 07:13 PM
Range Rover

Dosperado as you well know the bottom end of a Grizzly is fantastic. At least mine is. The dissapointment for me was allways the midrange and top end. When I used to dump the throttle my quad would take off like a jet and at about 40MPH it would level out and then build slowly to about 53MPH. Well not anymore when you dump the throttle now it just screams right up to about 56MPH. No hesitation no lag just raw power throughout the powerband. I never expected this much of a change. One thing I know my buddy Edgar is going to get his wings clipped this Saturday, he has a Grizzly also. As far as other modifications, the only thing I have different is a set of 27 inch swampers. I was going to put a pipe on it but my wife seems to think she needs a new washer and dryer more than i need a performance pipe. Of course as filthy as we get up here she may be right.

Old 12-02-2000, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

hambone,
Hey, thanx man. I know what you mean about the flat spot at about 3/4 throttle. Its a brute right off the bottom, needs no help! But at about 3/4 throttle it levels off. But it doesn't seem to matter about the incline of the road. It pulls just as hard at 3/4 throttle on a level road as it does on an incline! It just doesn't do it with as much authority as at lower revs.

Rick

Old 12-02-2000, 06:02 AM
Trailblazer

Hambone, did you get your kit at Pocono Mountain Motorsports? Do you know if this kit is available for the Kodiak? If so, what kind of difference do you think it will make? By the way, I live in Kresgeville.
Al

Old 12-02-2000, 08:51 AM
Trailblazer

Actually mine does start to level out around 40 or so and the fastest I ever got it was 52 on a path next to a runway. I think I will give that kit a try, thanks!

Old 12-02-2000, 05:39 PM
Range Rover

Pansykodiak, yes I did get the kit from John at Pocono mountain motorsports. I believe they are available for the Kodiak. I never drove a Kodiak so I dont know how they run bone stock. It makes sense that any motor that draws more air should run better. the K&N filter flows about 25% more air, any good filter kit should flow more air. the thing is more air requires a little more fuel for more power. There are several other factors that need to be changed if you want to really boost the power of any given motor. But increasing airflow and fuel is a good first step and in this case fairly inexspensive. Sometime you will have to get together with us and we will go riding together we have some good spots up near Wilkes-barre. Let me know if you have any place to ride down your way. Always looking for new places to ride.

Old 12-03-2000, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

Hambone,
I got my Kodiak 2 months ago from John. He's a real decent guy. We should get together. I'm still looking for some good places around here to ride. Right now I mainly ride this area in Trachsville where my friend has 72 acres and it's surrounded by private land. There's trails and roads all over the ridge. E-mail me so we can set it up.

Al
altab@ptd.net

Quick Reply: K&N filter and jet in my Grizzly WOW!!!!!!!!!!!