Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

craptor died

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default craptor died

Has anyone had any problems with their raptor dying for now reason? The other day i went for a little ride at lunch time and my bike just died. When i got back to my shop I noticed that the water temp light was on but very dim. when i pushed the start button it got alot brighter, but nothing else happened. I played with the bike trying to figer out what was wrong for a few hours and then all of a sudden the light went off and everything started to work. This scares me b/c if it happens in the wrong place and time i could be stuck for a long while. If anyone knows anything please help my out.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Range Rover
Default craptor died

First you need to get a Manaul for your Quad. In that manual it will give trouble shooting procedures. You will have to shoot wires to make sure there are proper resistance and so forth. I've had an electrical nightmare with mine 03 after upgrading and removing things. In that book it also have self tests for the temp fan to make sure it works. Pretty neat. It's pretty late but tomorrow if you don't want to get one, I could scan some pages for you and send them in an email. Scott

Old 08-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default craptor died

I have the yamaha manual and i tested the fan, the overtemp sensor, the diode, and so forth. I never found anyting wrong.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default craptor died

This probably isn't the reason but you could check. I mostly ride the dunes and my wife or daughter put our raptor over on it's left side. After that it ran fine but kept dying occassionally but would eventually start. I finally took apart the starter switch cover and cleaned out the sand. Apparently a piece of sand got between the contacts. Haven't had a problem since. Maybe you have something giving an occasional short or preventing a good contact.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default craptor died

What year is your bike? on the 06 raptor the fan connections under the seat are not full attached, u need to push them together and you will be good to go until then, i am going to run a "cooler" which is sold on ebay and also swap the coolanrt that came stock with engine ice

Old 08-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default craptor died

I hear you. I went riding one day, went through a puddle, and the bike quit. So I turned the key off and then back on, started it, rode formaybe another 10 seconds, and then it died. So i got towed back to camp, where nothing I could do would get it running. I thought it had just gotten wet somewhere. I do know that after about 2 or three cranks, the bike was interupting spark to the plug, hence keeping the bike from starting. So i left it alone. The next morning it started second whirl.

This is where it gets strange.

That next day, I went and rode for hours. Not a problem. But then 2 days later, I had rode it for maybe 20 minutes, and the whole dying sequence started over again.

Right now mine is in the shop, and who knows if there going to find anything.

Best of luck.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default craptor died

You have all mentioned different problems with similar symptoms: loss of spark/ignition.

Might I suggest something simple. Double check your spark plug cap connection to the spark plug. On Raptors, there is a rubber plug attached to the spark plug wire which must be pressed into the cylinder head to prevent dirt, debris and water from getting in, and it insures a good connection between the plug and the cap.

The plug is round with two half-moon shaped indents to compensate for the valve covers. You must make sure the plug cap is aligned correctly, otherwise it will not pop down into the cylinder head. If it is not pushed all the way down, water and dirt can get past and interrupt the spark, causing some of these symptoms. Also try using some diaelectric grease to insure a good, waterproof connection between your spark plug and spark plug cap.