Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

660 or banshee?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 660 or banshee?

i wanna get a new quad and ive pretty much narrowed it down to a banshee or a rappy 660.... im about 160 lbs... and i was wondering if a banshee would do well on trails... help me out plz

Old 08-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default 660 or banshee?

all you do is trail riding? no drag racing?

Old 08-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default 660 or banshee?

I don't OWN a Banshee, but I have like 3 family members who do and I have rode them.

They are quick as hell in the power band. Will blow right by my Warrior.

However, there are things it can NOT do (well or safely) that I do with my Warrior.

---Stop and start on a steep hill without reving up and riding the clutch to get into the powerband.
The Banshee has NO grunt so you can not easily go up a rough terrain at a slow pace.
If you STALL it on a steep and rough hill? There is no electric starter to hit and go again. Kick start when you are ready to flip backwards onto your a$$???

With a Raptor you can grunt it really slow with the clutch out and navigate over rocks, etc on a trail.
You also have an electric start in case you DO start it. That is one thing with my Warrior that is nice is IF it stalls, I can instantly restart it. As wimpy as a 350 Warrior is, it does have enough grunt near idle that it is kind of hard to stall.

I've tried to ride the Banshee slow at the Dunes just to pace with the kids. Forget about it. It loads up from going so slow. You have to continuously open it up to keep it running well.

Banshee is fast, but if you liek trails like I do, I'd go 4 stroke electric start all the way!

Old 08-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default 660 or banshee?

If want to trail ride, I would definately go with the 660. The banshee is a fun quad and can be made fast as he%%. I had my a$$ handed to me be several last weekend drag racing lol but for trail riding the 660 would be a better choice.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default 660 or banshee?

I love my shee, never have probs with the lowend (just went down a tooth in front). Ive never stalled going up or down a hill (all you do is feather the clutch). I have tires in the front that are 1 inch bigger than stock which helps a bit with the rocks/logs and stuff like that. Pretty much all i ride is trails and i love it... Most people would prefer the 660 in the woods but i see no probs with the shee as long as you can pick the front end up. (to turn it around.... no reverse) Plus then later on if you wanna get into racing you have the perfect machine for it. They are also ALOT cheaper to get power out of and they will become rare in the next few years. Just please dont believe all the "you have to rebuild it every 2 years or your first born will die crap." Im going on 3 and my compression is just like new, ive already went through a set of tires too. Most people also look at the electric start as an advantage, i see just the opposite. A kick start cant break and doesnt require a battery that can go dead. I hope this helps.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default 660 or banshee?

I agree with JL on this one. I Ride my shee in the trails all the time and I stay up with and or Pass the guys I ride with. (all have been Riding for along time no rookies) Hills and creek beds stoping or starting is no problem.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Range Rover
Default 660 or banshee?

i have a banshee and my naighbor has a raptor we go 2 the dunes and trail ride all the time my banshees faster and iv never hada proplem with hills or eny of that if ur doin wide open trails id say shee but if ur climbing over stuff and eveyduty rideing id go with a raptor just that fact that it has reverse

Old 09-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default 660 or banshee?

i am alo oe who loves his shee

it is possible to trail ride the thng but it'll take some geting used to

if ur gonna be ridingjust trails, i still say go for the raptor

if u want a quad that'll put a smile on ur face every time u hit the powerband, get the SHEE

Old 09-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default 660 or banshee?

dude get the 660.. i was in the same position as you, and i got the rappy... Dude its insane for people to even hold on, the trails really ... it feels like it can just tear anything apart.. It shoiuld be called the t-rex. im only 145 pounds so maybe its because im light that i never really lose to banshees, but the first day i got it my girlfriend got on the back and she was so impressed by the ergonomics, and the fact that it wheelies every gear.. and its so fat that the front end feels like its floating at top speed.. feels like your on a cloud.. Go ahead and get yourself a raptor!

Old 09-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Trailblazer
Default 660 or banshee?

raptor, all the way!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 660 or banshee?