Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor or DS 650? Reverse or Pull?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2000, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tell you what, the second BEST thing about the Raptor has got to be the REVERSE, first has got to be the power. I have a TRX330r, a 400ex and a Raptor. The reverse has got to be the handiest asset that any of these quads has. I have already used it to get myself out of trouble a ton of times. If the DS 650 and the 400ex are missing anything, it's the REVERSE! Gotta have it. Today I went riding, if it weren't for the reverse, I wouldn't have seen the HUGE buck! I was heading down a hill, decided to go another way, backed up, and wham, I saw an awesome buck. If only it was dear season. Anyways, I'd like to hear some stories of how the reverse on your Raptor has helped you. I think that's where Yamaha hit the mark, and Bombadier and Honda didn't. Thanks

Old 12-02-2000, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

i just wonder why they didnt put reverse on them! i was told by my dealer that Bombardier said that reverse was considered as a liability on a sport quad.less moving parts means less to go wrong.a DS with reverse would be nice.

Old 12-03-2000, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

Adding reverse means adding complexity and weight. So does having electric start. If you were building an atv strictly for racing you wouldn't want either but after owning an 800ZRT snowmobile (pull start and no reverse) and riding with friends that had these features on theirs, I would GLADLY take that added weight. Picking up a monster sled and trying to spin it around when you take a wrong turn bites. Even if it only happens rarely. Reverse is great IMO!

Old 12-03-2000, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Well it was kindof like not having reverse was what set apart the sport and high proformance atv's. like sports have revers, high prof. dont. I dont know, it was a good idea by yamaha, and it only added a few pounds. I credit that. The Bombadier Ds650 is so front end heavy, you'd almost have to ha ve the front tires pulling in reverse! When I put my ds somewhere where i need revers, i should have to pull it out myself, i'm the one that put it there.

Old 12-06-2000, 03:10 AM
Trailblazer

I was at a cross-country race about two weeks ago,and approximately 2 miles into the race,The
second place rider got tangled up in some trees,and blocked the track.Behind him was 400ex.On of my buddies on a warrior another 400ex
then me. I put my bike in reverse at some 2 inch sapling. And plowed through them into second place.Later talking with my friend about the incident he said when I plowed through those trees the other riders there were moaning,and groaning in disbelief... Shoot! this is racin
fellas... Not no line at the bank!!!!!

Old 12-06-2000, 06:31 AM
Pro Rider

I am glad to see Yamaha put Reverse on a sports quad smart move. I wish my kids 90cc quad had a reverse.
One of the guys I ride with has a 400Ex, & when we are out riding in the woods he is all the time having to get off & jerk the rear end around to reverse directions.

You wait & see, whichever manufacturer releases the next new sports quad it will have reverse on it also.

Old 12-06-2000, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

Was recently riding with 2 guys with no reverse on their Banshees. We all got into a revene with no way out and couldn't continue. To turn around or back up the hill was the only way. They huffed and puffed getting out. Then came my turn. "Hey, guys, watch this" (turn switch, click down, back out) Makes a guy's day, huh?

Old 12-06-2000, 04:31 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with having to have reverse. While I do sometimes like to go at a competitive clip, I am not all that interested in how much extra weight is added by reverse. I feel the benefits of it far outweigh the drawbacks. I'll bet that Warrior sales would drop dramatically if the 400EX had reverse. That was my determining factor.