Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I am putting a CR500 Motor into my Blaster - have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am putting a CR500 Motor into my Blaster - have a few questions

Ok, i blew up my 200 then finally my vito 240. after a year.

I started getting into grass dragging and love it!.

Everyone makes fun of my tiny blaster., so i have some spare $ im going to put into my blaster.

Questions. i have.> who has done a cr500 swap into a balster and has info or pics

Also, it seems like lots of diff years/modles of the cr500 some liquid some air cool.

What one should i do? whats the best year to do etc?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

I need to have my blaster done by october 10th. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] " 1st BIG grass darg near me "

I own a shop doing restorations so fabing work isnt a prob, just finding out the correct info for exactly the year etc i should buy.

-Jeremi

Old 08-31-2006, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

dude, that thing is gonna fly!

Old 08-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

Your going to have plenty of HP..Thats not going to be your prob..Your prob is going to be putting it on the ground..Its hard to get them to hook up..

Old 08-31-2006, 10:29 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

The liquid cooled will be more power.. But you would be dam smooth if you put a YZ490 in your blaster [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Keep it air cooled that way and your keepin it all yamaha [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-31-2006, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Except the YZ490 is one of the ten worst bikes ever made, according to at least a couple of dirt bike magazine articles. It had a poorly designed engine head and porting configuration, and either blubbered like a pig, or pinged and blew up.

The 1985 Honda CR 500 was the first year of liquid cooling, and had the hardest hitting power. Each year after that it was detuned more and more, to make it rideable. They had a habit of turning even the fittest of motocross racers into silly putty by the end of a half hour moto. Any year CR 500 will provide plenty of power though, and I would focus attention on getting a fresh motor more than I would focus on finding a particular year.

Hope you're good at hanging on.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:05 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
The liquid cooled will be more power.. But you would be dam smooth if you put a YZ490 in your blaster [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Keep it air cooled that way and your keepin it all yamaha [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Yamaha was the first manufacturer to quit racing the open class. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

A liquid cooled CR500 engine will eat that air cooled YZ490 engine for lunch. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

'85 was the first year for water cooling and also the fastest hardest hitting version of basically the same engine for the rest of the CR500's life. They made it easier to start in '91 I believe, and then it was just about moving the power around and making it easier to ride. It still is violently fast in stock form in any year. I made a 28 oz flywheel weight for my 500 after my first enduro,so I could hang on to it in the woods.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-31-2006, 11:09 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Yes I know this about the 490.. thats what makes it so cool [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] especially just for a grass drag blaster project [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Too much of a pain in the rear to retrofit the blaster to liquid cooling without it lookin all frankenstein.. if he must go with a aircoold 500 of sompin else..

Old 08-31-2006, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

I totally agree ....490

Old 08-31-2006, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Well i kinda know what your going to go thought on this project..I was going to put a R6 in my rappy at one time...Untill i got to looking..But im sure your alot better metal faber than me...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-01-2006, 02:09 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: mywifesquad

Yamaha was the first manufacturer to quit racing the open class. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Suzuki quit making the RM500 long before Yamaha scrapped the YZ490's.

I dont think the Blaster frame can support the hp of an open class 500 motor without flexing and breaking. It's alright for the ancient IT200 engine, but an open classer,,,? Hope your welding skills are up to date.

Quick Reply: I am putting a CR500 Motor into my Blaster - have a few questions