Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 450-Is a jet kit enough??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 450-Is a jet kit enough??

Hey guys I'm the proud owner of a 2006 Kodiak 450. I put it in the shop the other day to have routine service and while I was there I figured I'd go ahead and get a jet kit put in. I have 27 inch Kenda bear claws on it so I've had a little power loss that I'd like to get back. My question is- Is it really necessary to have exhaust when installing a jet kit? I don't want to change the sound of my quad, nor do I want to pay $300+ for new exhaust. Do you think the Jet kit alone is enough?? Thanks.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

Without adding any performance items (exhaust, Intake, filter, no lid ) changing your jetting is just going to make you run rich/lean. Jet kit is designed to keep your air/fuel ratio at the right level. If you do not supply more air to the motor you do not need more fuel. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2006, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bberck
Without adding any performance items (exhaust, Intake, filter, no lid ) changing your jetting is just going to make you run rich/lean. Jet kit is designed to keep your air/fuel ratio at the right level. If you do not supply more air to the motor you do not need more fuel. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Hit the nail on the head. Do a search for jetting and itll make sense if he didnt explain it good enough.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer

Even though they make aftermarket jets for "stock" quads? What is something easy and inexpensive that I can use with the jet kit? Exhaust is too expensive for something I really don't even want. Is there something else?

Old 09-13-2006, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

Pick up a K&N or uni air filter. Most quads are jetted rich from the factory so i still dont think you would have to rejet. Get a air filter and let us know what your plug looks like.

They make jet kits for stock quads meaning they will fit stock carbs, not so you can use them when the quad is stock.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

I agree. Changing jets alone does not improve performance. You run the risk of making it worse actually. If you're not going to upgrade the exhaust, I'd leave it alone. I also seriously doubt a K&N filter would give you anything either. Usually a K&N/jet change needs to accompany with some other major performance mod to be effective.

You could always look into a CDI upgrade but it is expensive as well. Plus, I'm not sure how beneficial it would be for a Kodiak.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

Just add a High flow air filter like a Uni and get a Exhaust end tip off of e-bay for less than $50. It lets a lot more air out along with the more air in from the new filter, then you will need to up your jets. The exhaust tip sounds 10 times better than stock without being too loud. I've done this to mine and i'm 100% happy with the out come.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Power...spagenameZWDVW

Old 09-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

and do the EPI clutch kit. It's a little salty but mad a big difference in my 05 Kodiak's low end. Much quicker take off.
Buck

Old 09-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer

When you guys say change the exhaust, do you mean the canister or the FULL system? I wouldn't even put an upgraded exhaust system on my car, much less my quad. I've already given the go ahead on the jet kit a week ago so I assume its already been installed. The guy at the dealership said it would give me a little gain but not AS MUCH as with exhaust. I just want it to be back to stock (25 in tires). I don't want to drag race my quad.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Trailblazer

OK hell with it. You guys talked me into it!!!! I just called the Yamaha dealer and ordered an exhaust slip-on. Its called a Big Bore made by BUB exhaust. Supposed to be enough flow for a jet kit and only 1db louder than stock. Anything else you guys would suggest??? Also with all this do you think I'll have more or equal power than I did with stock tires??

Quick Reply: Kodiak 450-Is a jet kit enough??