Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior oil leak...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior oil leak...

I just noticed the other day that my warrior seeps a VERY small ammount of oil out of the rear of the crankcase seam. It only does this when it's running. it can sit for weeks and there will be no oil on anything. I have sat and watched (yeah, I know, WAY to much time on my hands[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]) the oil SLOWLY seep out after it has idled awhile. It's nothing major, and I have'nt had the oil go low or anything like that. I am just wondering if anybody else has this problem with their warriors??? I don't see any point in tearing down a PERFECT engine that has no other problems just to replace the center case gasket. I put a bead of high heat RTV silicone over the seam where the leak was and it seems like it is fixed. I have'nt seen any oil on the motor or anything. Is it ok to use silicone like a band aid for an engine like I did? How long will my repair last? I kinda feel bad "riging" it with the silicone like that because I am VERY picky and I like things to be perfect.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I also checked the torque of the case bolts and they were all torqued to spec. The area the seep was coming from is on the back of the crankcase above the lower rear engine mount.

Thanks
Jack[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

mine is sweating it out of there but i havn't had any problems with it leaking drops of oil..

Old 09-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Speedy2222,
Mine only drips after oil has built up on the bottom of the motor, like after a 50 mile ride. I like the way you put that, Mine was "sweating" out oil too before I done the silicone thing. I just noticed this when I installed my chassis skid plate. I got back from a 50 mile ride and noticed a drop of oil on the skidplate under the rear of the engine. I then investigated and found the location it was coming from and then I did the "fix" with the silicone. I wonder if the silicone will hold out and if it will be ok like that?

Jack

Old 09-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like your oil leak is minor compared to mine. Mine is leaking out between the two half cases at the back of the engine, and it's more than just a little sweating. I guess on the bright side, after it drips down onto the skid plate, it keeps the bottom of the frame from rusting up It's been like that for a while, and hasn't got any worse. It's not enough of a reason for splitting the cases, I'll wait until I have a bigger reason before I get into that much work. I just keep an eye on the oil level, because it does have a tendency to get a little low during long rides.

Yamaha's stock gaskets just flat-out suck sometimes. You'd think that with all the work that's involved in changing out that seal, yamaha would have put a little more thought into the design and used something a little more durable than a thin cardboard gasket.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: recon99
Sounds like your oil leak is minor compared to mine. Mine is leaking out between the two half cases at the back of the engine, and it's more than just a little sweating. I guess on the bright side, after it drips down onto the skid plate, it keeps the bottom of the frame from rusting up It's been like that for a while, and hasn't got any worse. It's not enough of a reason for splitting the cases, I'll wait until I have a bigger reason before I get into that much work. I just keep an eye on the oil level, because it does have a tendency to get a little low during long rides.

Yamaha's stock gaskets just flat-out suck sometimes. You'd think that with all the work that's involved in changing out that seal, yamaha would have put a little more thought into the design and used something a little more durable than a thin cardboard gasket.
Thanks for the replys guys.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Recon99, you should wash up the rear of your engine real good and do the silicone thing like I did. It seems to be holding fine. Also, I was going through some old posts and found a guy that has a new raptor 350 with the SAME PROBLEM!!! I think we sould all get together and tell yamaha about this problem.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I know it wont ever happen, but they should have to recall thease things and fix them! I love my warrior, it is all in all a GREAT quad, but it p*sses me off that yamaha would use crappy gaskets in an area that hard to get at. Thanks for the info, and keep the posts comming.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I want to see how many warriors have this problem. If you have a Warrior and it has this problem, let us know.

Thanks.
Jack

Old 09-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think I will try that sometime. I tried sealing it once before, but it was just a half-assed job with some pvc glue because that's all I could find at the time.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think that is pretty common with all warriors. As long as you're not losing a great deal of oil, that could make you run out of oil while riding or is just making a big mess, i wouldn't worry about it. Probably not worth tearing it apart. Just putting silicone on the outside of the crankcase will probably not stop the leak for very long if at all, the right way to do it would be to tear it apart clean the joints super well then silicone the two together, being very careful not to get too much excess silicone that might sqeeze out into your crankcase. A very small bead would be plenty. But i would not mess with that unless it gets bad. good luck, moses155

Old 09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Hello, here's an update:

Well, the silicone seems to be working. I haven't seen any leaks at all after doing the fix. I have ridden about 150 miles now and no leaks![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Hopefuly, this will hold and I wont have to worry about the leak anymore. I'll keep you guys posted.

Jack.