Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

tires?FOR 03' WOLVERINE

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires?FOR 03' WOLVERINE

I AM LOOKING TO REPLACE THE STOCK TIRES ON MY WOLVERINE AND CAN NOT SEEM TO FIND A GOOD REPLACEMENT TIRE THAT WILL FIT. I WAS TOLD NOT TO GO UP IN TIRE SIZE BECAUSE IT MIGHT BREAK THE AXLE OR DRIVE SHAFT. I RIDE ON A LOT OF SHALE AND IT RIPS THE SIDE WALLS. I'D LIKE A 6 PLY THAT HAS AN TOUGH TRED FOR MUD AND DIRT. BUT, I HAVE NOT HAD ANY LUCK FINDING ANYTHING SMALLER THAN A 25x__x12. stock is 23x, any suggestions

Old 09-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

Don't be too worried about breaking and axle or drive shaft. Taller, heavier tires do put a strain on bearings, clutch, and maybe cv joints but you shouldnt break any drivetrain. I see lots of other wolverine riders running itp mudlites, but you may want to check out the maxxis big horns, they look like they have pretty thick, well protected sidewalls, but i didn't see any in 23. Personally i would go for 25, a wolvy should easilly be able to handle them.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

25's are the biggest I would go on a Wolverine. You will notice a shorter period between bearing changes but its nothing to worry about, since it's such an easy quad to work on. I have 25" Mud Bugs, I ride pretty hard in alot of water/mud and I can't complain on the wear & tear from the tires. I still have factory tierods/front bushings and balljoints. You will notice you can go more places because of more traction and ground clearnace from the tires. 25x8x12, and 25x10x12 will fit perfect on stock rims. IMO Bigger tires are well worth it.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to stay stock and have 6 ply, the Titan 489 xt is the only one in 23" size, other wise, 25" is ok as long as you don't go too agressive or heavy a tire.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

I'm big on not going bigger than a stock sized tire. I'm running 23" 489ATs on my machine right now. Even though these are a "lighter" after market tire, they're still heavier than the stock tires. If you're looking for a 6 ply, go with the 489XT like others have mentioned.

The Wolverine is not a torque monster. IMHO, bigger tires are harder for the engine to turn.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 04 Wolvy and have done very extensive research on tire sizes and types that will be perfect for this machine. From what I have found by talking to other Wolverine owners I have been told NOT to go up to a 25" tire unless there is a big bore kit put in at the same time due to this machine lacking the low end power to turn the larger tires in difficult terrain. I do believe I have found a perfect solution to the "problem" in the AMS Swamp Fox tire in a 24x9x12 for front and 24x11x12 rear, this will work great on a machine that has been at the very least jetted and better air filter. If the machine is totally stock they are also availible in the stock size and I'm not too sure but think they are also 6 ply. I hope this really helps people, it took me about a year to find all this info.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

Some good advice right there. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: 2bulls78
I have a 04 Wolvy and have done very extensive research on tire sizes and types that will be perfect for this machine. From what I have found by talking to other Wolverine owners I have been told NOT to go up to a 25" tire unless there is a big bore kit put in at the same time due to this machine lacking the low end power to turn the larger tires in difficult terrain. I do believe I have found a perfect solution to the "problem" in the AMS Swamp Fox tire in a 24x9x12 for front and 24x11x12 rear, this will work great on a machine that has been at the very least jetted and better air filter. If the machine is totally stock they are also availible in the stock size and I'm not too sure but think they are also 6 ply. I hope this really helps people, it took me about a year to find all this info.

I'm curious how the Swamp Fox tires handle on say a fire road, do they slide around the corners or grab. I'm thinking of going with your suggestion on these tires, thanks for the research.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer

I have the AMS Swamp Fox tires on my utility,It rides very good on all types of terrian.Be sure to keep the air pressure down on them though.I haven't had any problems with sliding or anything like that.I really like the tires though.Excellent choice and not too expensive.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

I guess it may all depend on the riding you do. I mainly trail ride with a local ATV club. I have an 01 wolverine. I just sold my 489 to replace them with some radial tires hoping to get a smoother ride. I have jumped up to the 25" tires because there is really no selection in the 23". Weight wise going from my 489's to the radials wasn't that big of a jump. the listed wight is 13.6 and 17.6 for the 23" 489. I chose the carlisle badland XTR and the listed weight is 14.7 & 19.7. my radials are being mounted today and hopefully I'll be able to give them a good testing. I'll measure the actual tire height to see if they are a true 25" tire. I'll be interested to see if I lost any noticible low end power. If I did I planned on adding a torque stuffer. I do hope that I do ge a little more top end because of the taller tire and longer roll out. I don't see the bearings wearing that much quicker due to a small difference in weight.

On another note I also just bought some swamp fox tires for my wifes recon. They were installed yesterday and hope to see how they ride. We were able to stay with the stock tire size which is good. I could never find any weight information on these tires so I am concerned about them.

Quick Reply: tires?FOR 03' WOLVERINE