Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Stock Raptor beats CT-piped Raptor!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2000, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once again, there is no need for name calling. If you disagree with me, say so. Don't call me ignorant.
Everyone is so tough behind the keyboard, I just wish I could meet up with some of you on the track.

(p.s. I work on all of my own engines, and I am very capable of knowing how they work)Get a Life!

Old 12-07-2000, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hers my thought in the manner.If your not going go all out and do pipe,cam,piston,filter.......Just leave it stock.I did a big gun pipe,filter and jetted it and you no what i felt?????NOTHING!!!!Wasted 500 bucks.Four strokes dont get a gain like a 2 stroke thats for sure.When I had my blaster I put just an fmf pipe and silenser on and WOW what a differnce.Just my thought though so keep up the replys guys but dont argue,it just makes this forum look bad.

Old 12-07-2000, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

You know when I first logged on to this website I was really encouraged by all the useful information being put out on ATV's.
Be it Yamaha, Honda, whatever brand thats cool.
As far as I am concerned, run what you brung.
To get into a pissing contest on such matters is a dead end street. When it comes to ignorance, last time I checked we all suffer from that.
I design things like these for a living and could dive into great factual detail on airflow etc, but I won't, because its not fair to lord it over somebody just because I am lucky enough to have the expertise, when they don't. That and the fact that nobody knows everything, including me, not by a long shot.
I joined this forum to learn from other peoples experiances with their ATV's, and to reciprocate the favor when I learn something I can pass along.
I use alot of information from this website to help me choose my equipment. I also have a CT Racing pipe/flow/jet kit on order for my Raptor. I have already timed my stock Raptor on asphalt. 0-30ft, 0-60ft, etc. while keeping a timelog of it.
I want an accurate performance baseline to start from. Each aftermarket piece I add will be timed in the same manner, same fuel (C12), with every other condition as close as I can repeat it.
This is the only means I have availible that I can afford, that will tell me what gains I am making, and where. This is how I can separate "seat of the pants" from the real world. This will take time, but you can bet I will publish mods, times, tuning tricks, etc, on this website in one way or another.
Don't get me wrong, I like to give a good email jab sometimes too, but not repeatidly, and not at the expence of a good website.
So this is my plan to make my Raptor continually more fun, and in the process learn something.

Old 12-07-2000, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Check Mobile Dyno's Banshee Dyno runs, you cant say an air filter and jets doesnt add power. Here you go:
http://www.mobiledyno.com/sys-tmpl/d...runs&UID=10009
or here:
http://www.mobiledyno.com/sys-tmpl/d...runs&UID=10008

maybe this will help you guys.

Old 12-07-2000, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

xr250rDude,

Thanks for an honest review. 4-strokes really suck the money out of ya too increase HP. I know from both good and bad experiances.

YaMaRaPtoR,

Great info, thanks for posting the site. The one thing that I noticed about the Banshee dyno is that the airbox snorkel was removed along with the installation of a Pro-Flow airbox sysem. This helps increase airflow, and I believe that is what increases the HP. Not as much as the airfilter alone.

This has been a very interesting topic so far. If someone is an "expert" in a certain field. Post what you have the experiance in. We can all learn. If I'm wrong, I want too know about it. But please explain why I'm wrong, instead of calling me a name.

Old 12-07-2000, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

OK. Say you're right. Take your lid off, go for a ride, and see how high your revvs get. Do the same, trying to close most air intake (just let a little air in). If you're lucky enough it starts, it won't revv much.
Mechanical tolerances do come in the game (noticed the "lots of reasons an engine stops revving" and "etc" at the end), but as I said, in quad engines (which are detuned bike engines), improving airflow is the first thing to do. Then, you will have to improve the "mechanical tolerances" mainly stiffer valve springs to achieve higher RPMs, then what will you have to do? I don't know, probably improve the spark, timing...
And more air means more torque (more mixture since you're supposed to rejet richer with more better airflow).
Trust me, mechanical tolerances are far away on suchengines!! On F1 engines, they play with ALL limits (that's why then sometimes blow), but Yamaha Motor will not give an engine that's at its limits...it would break too easily, even in normal conditions.

Old 12-07-2000, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

Come on!! TORS? Revv limter? Have you ever seen a banshee for real...have you ridden one? Have you ever ridden any 2 stroke? Or have you seen how a 4 stroke revv limiter works?
Stop the BS. Please. Read, and try to say yourself "maybe I'm missing something".
The TORS is only to avvoid the engine to revv freely while you're not applying throttle.
How does a 4 stroke limiter work? It just shuts the spark. No spark, no ignition, no more free revving. If you ever heard what it sounds like, you wouldn't say that. It's only use is to avvoid valve rebound (the valve doesn't have time to get back in shut position and gets banged back in open...and breaks...or even worst, hits the piston...and crack..etc).
2 strokes have no valves. The only reason they don't keep revving is that there isn't enough force to turn the crank faster. If you had revved a banshee (or, again, any 2 stroke) up to the limits you would have noticed that it screams, and seems to be bugging...that's 2 stroke overrevv. The torque rushes down (please look for some torque dyno graphs) because it doesn't explode well enough to turn faster again. It just has enough torque (force) to keep it there, but that's it.
Say what you want, but don't put a revv limiter on 2 stroke engines!!

Old 12-08-2000, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

I think we've tried to explain to you where you were wrong, but you seem to be missing the point.

On the TORS on the Banshee, it is simply a microswitch on the thumb throttle and on the carburetor slides. When the slides are open and the throttle is closed, it shuts down the engine because it "senses" a stuck throttle.

You supported my claim when you said a gas trimmer doesn't make enough power to sling itself apart. That's the same with most engines. They come to a point where they can't get any more fuel/air through them in order to make any more power and thus are limited by that condition, not the internal friction of the engine parts. Sure, you could theoretically remove all engine friction and the RPM would increase, but still only to a point because again, the engine can only process so much fuel and air without being boosted.

You most recent post really shows what the problem is. It's not your misunderstanding of how combustion engines is as it is your problem that you have with the Raptor. Grow up! You've got a fine quad there. Oh, and I may be obnoxious, but those around me will readily tell you that I'm the same in person. I just can't stand for people to spout off about things in which they have no idea about. I try to ignore them, but only for so long.

Old 12-08-2000, 02:16 AM
Range Rover

Cstark

I'm sorry but your statement about intake having nothing to do with how high an engine revs you dead wrong.

Why do you think NASCAR runs restrictor plates on superspeedways????? To limit horsepower.

I have one phrase for you to research "Volumetric Efficiency".

All systems work together on an engine. Improving the biggest restriction can change what the weak point of the system is.

Everyone talks about horsepower but the most important engine characteristic is Torque and the amount of torque at a certain rpm.

Generally cams will change the rpm at which the torque peak occurs. Improving "retrictions" in the exhaust and intake will allow the torque to be higher at a higher rpm thus increasing peak horsepower.

Basically if the Raptor has large restrictions designed into the exhaust and intake then CT Racing can make huge horsepower gains by eliminating these restrictions.

This description is very crude but there are several good books on this subject.

Old 12-08-2000, 04:56 AM
Pro Rider

O-man, my eyes hurt now. I just read through all these posts. They were very informative seeing as how I am engine illiterate.

The statement about how 4strokes dont gain much from mods is exactly why I stick with 2 strokes. My first was a blaster and like X250R said I also had it stock then put only a FMF Gold series pipe and PC2 silencer and noticed HUGE gains.

Right now my Banshee is stock besides the rims and wheels, I plan on putting on the Pro Flow kit and adding T5 pipes. Im plenty sure this will add power, even with the Pro Flow alone it should add some power.

Now what I would like to know is, ignition timing, will this add more power or torque?

SIDE NOTE CSTARK, I saw no name calling anywhere in this thread by anyone except from Bash saying read the definition (well, he is still calling you ignorant, but...) your post was a little bit afterwards, shoulda been more like near his?

Quick Reply: Stock Raptor beats CT-piped Raptor!!!