Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Stock Raptor beats CT-piped Raptor!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2000, 09:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read the ATV Action magazine.They were testing the MX Raptor from CT. They had a CT pipe and silencer as the only engine mods on the MX Raptor.

In a drag race the typical rider on the stock machine beat the CT Raptor!!!
They had expert riders drag race but at a slightly longer distance and the CT Raptor won by .10 of a second.

In a dyno chart they had the stock maxing at 34.8 while the CT at 41.1.

Old 12-06-2000, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

In my it says that all the riders prefer the CT power quad. Plus it had a wider axle/A-arms to control the power. In short race the stck barely wins.

Old 12-07-2000, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not liking what I'm hearing. Was the Raptor jetted with a different airfilter? How long was the drag?

Old 12-07-2000, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

So much for the 16 and 32HP gains. BTW, that bridge is still for sale.....

Old 12-07-2000, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Eric I read the same article and the raptor had just a Ct Pipe, no air filter or jet kit. The pipe was not the super trapp either. So hopefully there supertrapp exhaust with air filter and jet kit will do ALOT more for the raptor than the one in the article did.

Old 12-07-2000, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Well TC330ex I see you were just waiting for that wasn't you.
Hey xtreme, you said that they didn't have it jetted is that the case or did they just fail to mention if it was? Why would they throw an exhaust on and not re-jet?

Old 12-07-2000, 01:50 PM
Trailblazer

The stock engine is very restricted, on the intake and exhuast. The addition of an aftermarket exhuast system is not much use on this machine without increased airflow, and proper jetting.
For example, the HP chart from CT Racing for the complete pipe/airfilter/jet kit proves my point.
http://www.ctracing.com/raptor.jpg

The differance between the stock engine, and the CT Racing kited one is a huge gain after 6000 RPM.
@ 6000 RPM there is a diff. of 10HP
@ 7000 RPM there is a diff. of 22HP
@ 8000 RPM there is a diff. of 30HP
Etc.....

This shows that the stock motor has big HP gains to be had from midrange up to the rev-limiter.
Motor's are air pumps, more air in more air out. more or less!

Conclusion:
Again, without the increased fuel flow, and air flow, the pipe does not help alot. Keep in mind
this is for a Raptor, not all engines act the same
with regard to pipes/jets changes.

With the pipe change, an already lean jet condition will be worse. I am not supprized at all, that the modified Raptor did so poorly in there test.

Old 12-07-2000, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

DesertRaptor makes some great points. Not all 4-stroke engines respond too mods the same way. 2 Raptors with the same pipe could even act differently.

One note about CT Racing's dyno chart.
If you look at top end power, the CT engine pulls higher RPM's than the stock Raptor, whichs leads me too believe that there is more engine work done than just a pipe and intake mods.
More power at high RPM's means CDI work and a "hotter" camshaft.

Think back too when the 426 first came out. Many aftermarket pipes took away HP from the engine.

Old 12-07-2000, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

We Know pipes do cause a slight loss of low end power as indicated on the starting points on CT's Dyno charts. But If they didnt jet after adding a Pipe I am suprised that they did not melt it down completely. Rarely also does anyone do a pipe without a filter. And On top of that One also realizes that True Lowend Power is Added By increased Compression, or increasing the Bore. But It always takes a proper combination of modifications to properly tune an engine. Its basically trial and error which is greatly aided with the use of a dyno.

Old 12-07-2000, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

Air filters do not add HP too the engine. They do allow the engine too "breathe" better, which in turn will help in throttle response.

The only way a 30+ HP gain will be achieved with a Raptor is too add a pipe, high-compression piston, cam, CDI mods, and maybe some porting. If your lucky, you may see those kinds of numbers.

That's 1k in mods, and you haven't even started on the handling yet. (I wish I had a money tree)

Quick Reply: Stock Raptor beats CT-piped Raptor!!!