Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee bogging??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2000, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good friend of mine has a 2001 Banshee. The only thing he has done to it thus far is a UNI filter and boost bottle. The problem know is at low rpm tring to take of it bogg's real bad unless you are ***** to the wall drag racing, then it runs fine. But the bogging is pretty bad and it seems like you all of a sudden hit the power band and it will throw you on you back if you're not ready. We assume it might be jetting but would like some info from you hard core Banshee riders. Thanks guys!

Old 12-07-2000, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Not so sure about the totally hardcore thing...
But when he changed filters...did he remove the snorkle? or air box lid...any mods to the air box?
If so...you are running lean most likely and will have to up your main jet size.
...also..is it jetted for warmer weather and suddenly became cold for winter?

Old 12-07-2000, 02:10 PM
Trailblazer

well the mainjets are mainly for upper rpm-the pilots handle low. the first thing i'd check is the air screws, play around with them 1/4 turn at a time. make sure everything looks good around the new filter.

Old 12-07-2000, 04:22 PM
Range Rover

My buddy bought a 01 Banshee in the summer and he has the same problem. I tried it and I noticed it right away. If you don't give it lots of throttle on take off, it bogs out.. I'll have to talk to him again and see if he solved the problem. He has talked to the dealer about it. I know that he changed the jetting on it last weekend. I'll find out what its running like and get back to you..

Old 12-07-2000, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

First thing check your plug, warm it up to normal operating temp. let it idle and check the plug it should be card board color. then put the plugs back in and run it, this part is what the warning tell you not to do, but is the only place around me to get the throttle open. take it for a run down the road turn around and do a full throttle pull back to your house kill the bike and coast into your yard. Check the plugs once again they should be cardboard color. If they are lighter than cardboard it is to lean if it is darker than cardboard they are to rich.
Banshee's usually bog off the line when they are stock, the best way to wake them up is a good set off pipes and silencers and reeds. I use FMF woods pipes and a set of V-force reed valves. woke it right up. Hope this will help you out

Old 12-07-2000, 06:09 PM
Range Rover

He's already done that. The plugs were fine. He started running High Tes fuel and said he changed from 22:1 to 20:1 mix ratio. Pretty sure thats what he mixes now.. He's not sure if he's going to put money into pipes because he's thinking of maybe trading on a Raptor. Not sure though. He likes the 2 stroke snap but he's starting to talk about the Raptor. His wife would probably kill him though!! hehe!! He won't trade now cause she'll definately know the bike is new.. He first had a blaster for only 3 months and put a fmf pipe and jet kit with hole shots. He took two rides with the new tires and then traded for a brand new Banshee. Wife thinks its a 98. hehe!!

Old 12-07-2000, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer

just curious what will making the oil mixture richer do. You do know that 20:1 is 20 parts gas to 1 part oil. so that makes it richer.

Does the bike bog when its up to operating temp? and has he tried taking the boost bottle off to see if it is causeing the prob, I doubt it is the bottle seeing it is designed to help the off idle bog.

Old 12-07-2000, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer

you probably have to jump up a few steps on the pilot jets. I believe stock are 25. You may want to try 30. First off try the air screw I believe the effective range is .5 to 2.0 turns. remeber to do both carbs

Old 12-07-2000, 10:52 PM
Trailblazer

also running that rich oil/fuel ratio will make things worse since it is a harder to draw a high oil to gas ratio through the jets so it actually leans things out more.

Old 12-08-2000, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

I had a problem with my Banshee as well. I was only 2 weeks old (2001 Banshee) my first time to get out and really ride it. Later on in the day I had a bad bogging problem. It would bog down in first gear when trying to take off, and if it died it was nearly impossible to kick start it (20-30kicks). What I had to do to get it going was rev very high and pop the clutch like a drag race and rip outa there, after that it ran fine.

I took it to the dealer and let them work with it. Ended up being a mismanufactured right carb, TO much fuel was going in and therfore bogging it out.

Just some info.

By the way, the bike was stock with 40:1 ratio

Quick Reply: Banshee bogging??