Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior engine noise

Ok, so this is getting frustrating everythime i fix one thing something else happens. I put the rear axle back in with the new bearings and i installed the pro flow air adapter with the k&n took off the carb and cleaned out installed 147.5 main jet.. Put the quad back together, went riding around the house run great for 30 mins. I started to let off the gas and herd this slapping/clanking noise coming from some where in the motor. shut it off checked the oil and it was fine. Pushed the bike home.started it back up and the noise is there gets louder with increased throttle. I have no idea whats wrong or where to begin. HELP?????

Old 10-29-2006, 01:33 AM
Range Rover

Valves maybe? Have you checked them, or had them adjusted lately?

Old 10-29-2006, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, First, check your valve adjustments and make sure they are to spec. Then, take off the cam cover and check out your timing chain, there could be to much slack in it causeing it to "slap". The timing chain adjusts by itself, but I have seen some quads that the adjuster thingy gets stuck. Next, I would pull your carb back off and make sure nothing came loose and got sucked into the engine. If none of this helps, then you will more than likely have to tear into the engine and see whats going on in there.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Hope this helps.
Jack[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

I'll check the valves this week, i hope its somthing simple. Iknow nothing got sucked into the engine.i let ya know what i find

Old 10-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The first thing I would check would be the valvetrain, like the others said. It's possible that the chain tensioner broke and is letting the chain slap around. If that all seems ok, I don't know what to say other than maybe wrist pin or crank bearings [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

You still running a stock cam..or a aftermarker

Old 10-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

A buddy of mine has had a loud ticking develop twice in his Warrior. The first time it turned out to be a bolt sheared off in the head .. second time .. he continued to ride, albeit more conservatively, and the motor quit on him after a rather loud snap/pop. The motor would turn over, but wouldn't start ... cam chain?

Old 10-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer

Its all stock. and pretty much untouched for years it got aken to the dunes bout 4 times a year for the past 5 years. Its been really neglected, so i'm hoping to find out its just the valves. It was runnig pretty damm good right before i herd this noise.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer

ok bad news... Tooks the valve covers off to find the nut on the exhaust valve missing so i'm guessing its somwhere inside the motor but i have no clue where. I tried sticking a magnet tool under the cam but had no luck what should i do???? top end rebuild?? whats that cost? should i just suck it up and buy another quad? there running a special on the raptor700 for 89 a month..

Old 10-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

idk brandon.. i'd say drain your oil first.... you MAY get lucky

Quick Reply: Warrior engine noise