Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine Exhaust valve tight. Symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine Exhaust valve tight. Symptoms?

The feeler stock is meant to measure the gap, or the free play . If you need to force it, if its very tight..then youre moving the rocker against the spring, and youre no longer measuring the gap. There can be a light drag on the feeler, at the most. If the clearance calls out for example .006". Then a .005 feeler should easily slide in and out, and a .007 should be unable to slide in, and .006 should have a light drag...then its perfect.
It helps to use the next size bigger and smaller to determine the gap.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I need to buy the incriments of feelers to better judge it that way. I just bought the set at AutoZone.

I took it apart today and readjusted them both. I did find that it is better to adjust one keeping the feeler guage in there, adjust the other keeping the feeler guage in there and then re check them both. The tools definately maded adjusting easier, worth the $45 in my opinion. Well again the first time I did it, it was at the wrong stroke. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] So I turned the motor to be at the correct TDC and adjusted both checking and rechecking to make sure they felt right, tightened them down. They had slight drag which with the feelers I had were just up from the bottom of the low end scope, so I know they are definately in tollerance.
I started it up and runs smoother than ever. No more spitting/caughing either. Before at idle every now and again it would spit or caugh, meaning misfire or something.
I am a happy camper now. Time to ride! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

I've noticed the valve job on this machine is slightly more involved that on my old 200X trike. LOL!

I may have to pick up that special tool. Looks like it'll make life easier.