Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

TORS System

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2000, 01:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gang,
Could someone with an in-depth knowledge of the TORS system explain it to me in some detail? I'm very curious what the skinny is on this thing. Do all quads have it? I've heard that you remove it installing a twist throttle, is that true? Thanx in advance.

Old 12-09-2000, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

It's a safty ignition cutout switch. There is a switch in the thumb throttle and one in a housing on top off the carb, these switches are wired into the ignition.When you hit the gas, both switches pop out,..when you release the throttle both switches pop in. But if you let off the gas and the carb is stuck open then one switch is out(carb) and one switch is in(throttle) it will kill the ignition. Twist throttles have nowhere to hookup the switch so the TORS has to be bypassed.TORS is yamahas name for this system(I can't remember what the letters stand for... Throttle something?) and is only on the Blaster and Banshee. All polaris Quads (& sleds)have a similar system, I'm not sure who else uses it. I guess it's not a bad idea, EXCEPT for the huge housing on the carb.I used to have a Blaster and I installed a twist throttle so the TORS was disconnected, soon after I got rid of the housing on the carb(replaced with normal carb top)and working on the carb was WAY easier!

Old 12-09-2000, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

He explained it pretty well.
Throttle
Over
Ride
System

Old 12-09-2000, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

Great explination, Thanks. I do have one thing to add. During my initial rides on my raptor the carb linkage seemed to be hanging up when the engine got up to running temperature. Twice I was forced to kill the engine because the throttle stuck open. I was pretty scary when that happened. I took it to Yamaha and what was found was that the butterflies in the carbs were not ajusted right. They would not hang up when the engine was cold but would progress to hanging up as the engine got hotter. At first it did not affect the thumb throttle but as the condition got worse the thumb throttle did stick about 1/2 open. When this first happened the carb butterflies were hanging up but the thumb was not. Here's the Question, Should the TOR system have shut the engine down in any of theses events? I wish it would have because I had a real problem when the throttle stuck in a fast high burmed turn and had to bail out over the lip. Luckly there was not trees at that location only tall brush.

Old 12-09-2000, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think the raptor has the TORS on it, but I could be mistaken.

Old 12-09-2000, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

if it has one it should have shut it down.i had to disconnect the one on both my banshees.on the 99 the bike wouldnt start.we checked the plugsbut they werent fouled,so we checked the spark and there wasnt one.we ended up disconnecting the tors and it fired right up.there was a bad connection somewhere in the tors.on the 00,the bike would tsart but if you touched the gas it would bog down and evenually die.it wouldnt rev up at all.disconnected the tors and it ran perfect and i havent had a problem with it since.my throttle stuck open also and the problem was that the the top of the throttle housing had been twisted around a few times while carb tuning.one slid would open before the other causing them not to be in sync.i took the airbox off so i could see the slids.i turned the housing clockwise or to my right on the carb that opened first and put it back on and checked it to make sure that both slids moved at the same time.i had to do this 2 or 3 times to get it right but now it works fine. sorry for being so long winded,just trying to help.C YA.

Old 12-09-2000, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

It works fine...in theory. Never shut the engine when I would have liked. The problems I had were that the carb tops kept unscrewing, and BTW opening wide. The TORS didn't notice anything, and left me getting back home playing with the rear brake and the off-run switch...no use. My carb probs are solved now

Old 12-11-2000, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

Thanx for the info, sounds like just what I was looking for. It appears like it was gerneraly deployed on 2 strokes only(assuming that the polaris applications where 2 stroke). I was wondering if it had any ties to the rev limiter. Doesn't sound like it though. Thanx again.

Old 07-07-2001, 02:45 AM
Trailblazer

This is really nice to know considering that my 96 V-MAX snowmobile has a little light that says tors. My friends and I where trying to figure it out I even called a snowmobile dealership and they didnt even know. I'M GLAD someone does!!