Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine compression @ 160psi. Seems high.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine compression @ 160psi

I am almost done fooling with my Wolverine. Since I have had it I have been going though it because it is my nature to know how anything works and to be sure it is right because I am very particular with my things.

After adjusting my valves I checked my compression and it is at 160psi. The manual says it should be at 128psi max. Just wondering why it may be high. I dont think the owners before me ever rebuilt it, but I am not 100% sure.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

160 does seem high.. any mods ??

Old 11-02-2006, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

Stock snorkel removed, K&N filter, FMF slip on pipe. Other than that not that I know of. That was throttle wide open and pressing the start button till the reading stabilized. Just like we did on our jet skis and what it says to do in the manual. In the service manual says if it is high to check valves, I just adjusted them, and to check for carbon on the piston, that would be a lot of carbon build up. Maybe I should let it warm up more? On the jet ski we used to check it when ever, didnt matter.

What if the engine was rebuilt? How many times over on the piston would bump it from 120 to 160? How can I tell if it was rebuilt? Anything else that would cause compression to be high?

Old 11-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default Wolverine compression @ 160psi. Seems high.

High comp piston? But if that was the case, I'd think the machine wouldn't run right unless you were running race gas or a 50/50 mix of race and high octane pump.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:08 AM
Pro Rider

If the valves are in adjustment, I would be happy with it and run it. If its not knocking or pinging with 87 octane pump gas in it, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Maybe it was just broken in well, somtimes there are factory freaks.

Just curious, what are you getting top speed? Should be about 57-58mph on gps or slightly less considering its a 2k model with a 34mm BSR running the 23" tire, but given a pipe and good jetting with you compression my guess would guess a solid 58 on a smooth flat straight.

I just wondered how your 350 keeps up with the big bores that you ride with.

My wolf is in the 200's somewhere.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

The first thing that came to my head was that their is a high compression piston in their, but i dont know, What is your top speed?

Old 11-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer

I am not sure what my top speed is. I will have to borrow a GPS and find out.

Odd thing is it cant even climb some long steep hills because it takes too long to get the rpm's to turn over. It gets to the middle or near the top of the hill and bogs out. Someone I was riding with said something is definately not right. Maybe due to my K&N and snorkel removed and FMF pipe the bottom may be way to lean. I did change the main to 145. Maybe I need to go up on the smaller jets too?

Old 11-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

You shouldnt have to mess with the pilots and other circuits yet. Not with the minor mods that you've done. I had almost the same setup years ago and I purchased a dyno-jet kit. I ran the different need and the correct jet for the altitude and the aftermarket pipe option and it ran like a top. Although jet kits are a little different than straight jetting a factory carb I have messed with quite a few bikes with various setups including tuning my wolverine with the mods listed below, and I havent had to re-calibrate all of the circuits with only minor mods like you have.

Make sure your whole fuel system is operating the way it should be and rule out any fuel problem of foreign material prolems and then go from there. If I were you I would go ahead and purchase a jet kit. In my opinion they work really well.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Pro Rider

Wow, judging by your avatar and sig you sold the Wolvie Gus? I thought I saw it up on E-Bay last week.....

Old 11-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: GlennJ
Wow, judging by your avatar and sig you sold the Wolvie Gus? I thought I saw it up on E-Bay last week.....
Yeah it was on e-bay, but I sold it locally. I went with some guys with Rhinos and when we came back he let me take his Twin Peaks/Prairie 700 out and I got spoiled by the incredible power. So that same day I found one for sale and bought it, then sold the Wolverine. I honestly think that there was nothing wrong with it after a couple other people rode it and said it rode good and sounded great. It is just that everyone I ride with has the Grizzly 660, Rincon 650, or Rhino. We do more hill climbs, rock crawl, and thick gumbo, so that is why I got the Twin Peaks 700. The Wolverine was my first 4 wheeler and I wasnt sure what riding I would be doing.

BTW. After I warmed the Wolvie up I read the compression and it was just at 150 so it could be that it was rebuilt at one time and went with one or two size up piston, not sure though.

Quick Reply: Wolverine compression @ 160psi. Seems high.