Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolvie clunking and noise when starting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolvie clunking and noise when starting?

Originally posted by: recon99
It's the starter clutch (one-way). You don't hear about it with the Wolvy much, but they have the same starter clutch the warrior and raptor 350 have been using since 1987, and they're know to go out. When they start to get bad, they get free play and don't work smoothly, that's what causes that clunk clunk clunk sound when you start it, and then usually another clunk from the bottom end when you shut the engine off or it stalls. My warrior is a 2001, and I had to get mine replaced last year. The parts will cost you about $200 if you can do the repair yourself. You will need the one way assembly and the gear the one-way mates with. If you try to save money and just replace the one-way, that pitted up gear will tear up your new one-way real quick, and you're out of another 200 bucks.
Yup! That is exactly what it does, even when I shut it off or it stalls.....CLUNK! Even though I am new to 4 wheelers, I am pretty mechanical so I am pretty confident to tackel this. I think all I need is a flywheel puller right? Any other useful info to doing this before I tear into it would be appriciated. You also have to drain the oil before removing the cover right? I called the dealer and they want $100 for the big gear and $117 for the starter clutch (one-way). I found them here Yamaha parts link for $55 less. I guess I may as well replace the bearing the big gear rides on too hu, $14?

Old 11-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, you'll need a flywheel puller. If you didn't think of it, you will also need new gaskets when you take the cover off. It would be a good idea to change the oil and filter, because there's probably metal flakes floating around all over the place from the old parts getting chewed up.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Yea and I believe you will need to heat the nut since it has locktite on it in order to get the nut off just check the whole assembly and see what looks to be damaged and check your stator assembly and the other stuff i listed earlier in the thread