Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly will not keep running

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly will not keep running

Here is the problem. My 2005 Griz 660 will not run, it does get spark and does not seem to get gas. Sometimes after sitting quite a while it will start and run for a while, but may either quit on its own, or if shut down will not start again. Do these have a fuel pump? It acts like a car would if the fuel pump was bad. Is there a fuel filter to clean?
I went through all this and took it to the dealer, they said they cleaned the carb and it ran for about 2 sessions and then same problem..Any ideas?

Old 11-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

Bad gas? Have you looked in the can you are filling it out of for dirt? If the dealer cleaned the carb and it ran fine for a couple times afterward then started acting up again, sounds like dirt or laquer is getting back into the carb. Or you are putting bad gas back into it. I would try some fresh gas in a different can first. You might want to have the carb cleaned again along with flushing out the gas tank and fuel line, or the cycle might repeat itself again.

I'm not a big wrench turner, but have encountered bad/dirty gas in the past with other equipment, and it can be a real pain. ANY gas I have that is going to sit more than 3 weeks gets a shot of Stabil mixed in with it. Since finding Stabil I have never had any more fuel system headaches.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

A trick I learned on my Grizzly when it had the same symptoms was to open the float bowl drain on the carburetor. It's a screw you can loosen on the bottom of the carburetor. There is a black tube that runs from the same area as the screw out to the bottom of the chassis. You'll have to remove the left (as you're sitting on it) side panel to see it. Loosen the screw and then turn the gas on. If no gas comes out, then it's not getting any fuel. This most likely means that the needle has seized in it. The needle is the part in the carb that lets in more fuel and is controlled by the float. If the dealership frees the needle have them at least replace the O-ring as well if not the entire needle assembly. My dealer told me that it's common to tear the O-ring when trying to free a seized needle.

With the new blends of gas, the shelf life isn't very long anymore. Deposits start to form on parts very early. Adding fuel stabilizer helps a lot and it is VERY important for quads if the same gas is going to sit in it for a long time. I've begun to make this a common practice. Especially in the winter months when I don't drive mine as much.