Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

problems with running after muddy

Old 11-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with running after muddy

I ride my Bruin on the the trails,once I get it in the mud and play a bit.I starts stalling out.It cranks right back up,but it won't stay running if you don't stay on the throttle.I checked to see if my filter was getting wet,but it's not.The mud isn't real deep at all either.I was considering maybe snorkeling it,will this help?
I need some info on snorkeling.I know I need I to snorkel the exhaust,drivecase,and filter.I need some help doing this,if this is the answer?
If not,can someone give some answers to fix this.I got an idea of what to use for the snorkel job,but where do I tie the hoses into?detailed instructions,if you don't mind.
Thanks for any help.
By the way it is not 4x4,it has an aftermarket exhaust pipe and jet kit,and a hi flow filter.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Snorkeling isn't going to solve your problem, that's only going to help if the water is so deep that it's over your intake and exhaust. Most likely it's an electrical problem. There's probably a wire somewhere that's exposed, and when it gets wet it shorts out and causes your problem. I think the first thing I would try to do to troubleshoot your problem is start the quad up, and then spray a garden hose around the electrical areas. Anywhere you see wires, the wiring harness, or electrical devices, spray the hose, and if the engine shuts off while you're spraying, that should give you a good idea of where to look for the problem.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

I agree if it only happens when you are in the mud then yes I would say its an electrical prob also...but If it seems to do it while riding reg also I would check your intake boot to make sure its sealed around the carb and airbox...clean the jets out...make sure you don't have water oin your oil...and check your sparkplug and the hole to see if there is any water in there but if it only happens while riding in mud for a little I would say either electrical or water is getting in the intake somehow

Old 11-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer

ty\ry putting dielectric grease on your plug and coil. you could also be sucking in steam of the block and into the intake. I had the same problem on my Grizz. i cut big slices out of the side engine covers and replaced the cut outs with some 1/4 inch wire mesh. This allows the steam to come out the sides instead of beib\ng sucked into the intake.