Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Specs and procedure for metering electrical components on 99 warrior

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specs and procedure for metering electrical components on 99 warrior

Want to check to see if I have enough spark. Can anyone tell me the specs and procedure for testing the coil, cdi, rectifier/regulator (if that has anything to do with it), neutral switch (if that has anything to do with it) and whatever else may have to be checked? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

I assume you may have found out the testing procedure already. Because you gave me some readings earlier. But if not there is a service manual on the Sand Wizards website (click tips and tricks).
When you are measuring the coil make sure to get a good reading for the primary coil check. Because there is such a small resistance value it could be out of specs but when you do the secondary coil check it could look like it is in specs. If you don't understand what I'm talking about just tell me and I will try to explain better.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

Yea, I'm not exactly sure about the electrical theory of this. I was doing some reading on here and saw your specs so I figured I'd give it a try with a multimeter. I'm not exactly sure if I'm doing everything right though. If you could explain further I would appreciate it. I'm having a problem on cold starts. And sometimes even when it's still warm after it has sat for a little. When I pull the plug it don't look oily or nothing, but when I clean it on a wire wheel and put it back in the quad, it fires right up, so I'm thinking by cleaning it (even though it's not really dirty), that it's allowing it to have just a bit more spark to enable it to fire up.

Old 11-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

I wrote a huge paragraph explaining a couple of days ago but for some reason it didn't go through or something because it doesn' show up. That sucks. So I'll go through it again quick. Basically you need to get a good reading doing the primary coil check ("terminal to body", its explained in the manual, or on that website I told you about). Reason being that it is usually a measurement less that 1 ohm. The secondary check(terminal to end of spark plug lead) is in K ohm so 6 K ohms = 6,000 ohms. If you add the 2 checks you get 6,001 ohms. So your secondary check might be within specs but the primary could be way off. Make sure you know what units your multimeter is reading in, and clean the contact points so you get a steady reading. Let me Know what you get?

Old 11-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, plug cap is 9.87k and my terminal to coil base is .8 ohms. I think that .8 is not good, huh?

Old 11-13-2006, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

Its a little high. I'm not sure if it would be considered no good though.