Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Carb Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 02:48 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Carb Help

Okay here is the deal. I posted a problem a while back and you guys told me that I needed to clean the jets in my carb. I finally got around to getting them pulled off. I know alot of you do your own carb work but I'm alittle scared that it may never work again. Please give me some instruction as to what to take apart and what to do. I have a manual but it only covers a complete tear down. I don't need to do that do I? I'm off to get some carb cleaner. Please help.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:08 AM
TDK
Weekend Warrior
Default Raptor Carb Help

Just take the carbs apart and pay very good attention to where things are. You will find out that they are much simpler than you may think. Once the carbs are out of the bike it should only take a couple of minutes to clean them.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:35 AM
Range Rover
Default Raptor Carb Help

So your telling me to just start tearing it apart. I don't want to tear the whole thing down if it isn't necissary. Should I just pulll off the float bowl and pull the jets or should I tear it down beyond that. Sorry to want such speciffic answers but I am really nervous doing this myself. I'm sure I can handle it but just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:50 AM
Range Rover
Default Raptor Carb Help

Okay so I took it all apart. Not as bad as I thought but I am having one problem. On the top side of the carbs under the black covers there is a diaphragm. How do you get it seated back in it's home? It is bigger around then the little groove it is suppose to go in, The manual just says it must be seated before replacing the cover but it dosn't tell how to go about it.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:51 AM
Range Rover
Default Raptor Carb Help

Okay I figured out the diaphragm finally. put it all together and the quad don't run. Heres my original story. The quad ran fine. I went out one day and adjusted the valves. I rode it around the block just to make sure everything was okay. Everything was great. It didn't get rode again for about 6 weeks. Went out to warm it up one morning for a weekend trip and it fired up with the choke on and when I turned off the choke it quit. I wasn't able to get it to fire again. I tried shooting a little either in the air box and it would fire up until it burned off the either. Several people on here told me that I needed to clean the carb. So I took it off last night and got it all cleaned up and put it back on this morning and nothing. It won't fire up at all. If I let is set for a day I can usually get it to fire up but it will only run for thirty seconds or so then quit. Right now it is just cranking. In fact, I cranked the battery dead. Anyone else got any ideas what my problem could be?

Old 11-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Range Rover
Default Raptor Carb Help

So I just went out and hit the starter and she fired right up like nothing was ever wrong. I let it set there and idol until she got all warmed up then I reved her a couple times. Everything was great. I let it idol some more. It ran for about five minutes total I guess then it started idoling real bad then quit. Now it won't start again. I'm getting sick of messing with this thing. Guess I'ts gonna have to go to the shop.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:59 AM
TDK
Weekend Warrior
Default Raptor Carb Help

I think that your valves may not be correctly adjusted, or the floats in the carbs may need adjusting

Old 11-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Range Rover
Default Raptor Carb Help

I noticed later that it was pouring fuel out of the overflow tubes so now I believe I have a float problem. It never did this before I messed with the carbs, so what could I of done to make the floats stick when I was cleaning it all out?