Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The dirty Carb

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dirty Carb

I've got an 2001 Kodiak, that was been running great. Just went out to start it, it started and was sluggish on the throttle reponce. I tried to let it idle and it died and wouldn't start. So I started to pull the carb off. I've rebuilt serveral car carb's before and motorcycle carb's before but by looking a diagram this one looks internally to have quite a few small parts inside.

Question is how hard are they to pull apart and clean? I did see that you had to make sure during dissasembing that you make sure you note the number of times the piolot screw is turned out from the seated position.

Any coaching would be appriciated..Do you just pull the three or 4 screwa out of the side to remove the throttle. Also do you unscrew the choke from the side. I've got everything else already disconnected.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default The dirty Carb

Well what i usually do when taking apart my carb is I turn the gas off at the petcock and run the rest of the gas out of the carb then diconnect it from the intake...now if you take the carb off flip it over and unscrew the screws holding on the bowl of the carb and inside there you will see a main jet and a pilot jet take them boh out and clean them with carb cleaner making sure you can see light through all of the holes and yes make sure you count the turns when dissasembling and reassembling the jets so the cabr will be dialed in correctly...then make sure that the intake tube is seated correctly and tight when putting it back on and all should be good but if you don't have much gas in the tank drain the rest incase you have dirt in the tank...also check to see if you are running out of gas...for the future if you aren't going to ride the quad for a while turn the gas on off and run it out of the carb so there won't be a buildup of junk in the jets and rest of the carb

Old 11-10-2006, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default The dirty Carb

here is a pic of your carb

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fich...=258&year=2001